Just dumb! Wrong type of Bleach = cloudy water!!!

Lrooth

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
After months of fighting then working through wrong size filter, cloudy water and leaks, I enjoyed a beautiful morning of sparkling clear water, a Sunday with family in the pool. Wonderful, yes! :)

THEN I put outdoor bleach concentrate (sent hubby to buy & he puchased wrong kind) in my pool that night. Thinking it was super concentrated, i only put in a quarter of a jug. Wake up to a white water pool! Eeeek! :hammer:

It was home depot's brand of outdoor bleach concentrate.

It's been 16 hours and I think it's worse. I have a stomach ache. 40,000 gallons of cloudy white water again... Only this time i can blame no one, but me! Can't see the third step. :cry:

What should I do? From other posts.... It's a waiting game? It will burn off? Do I begin a shock process?

FC 6.0
CC .5
PH 7.2
TA 140
CH 150
CYA 50

Note: PH doesn't want to respond to PH Up. Keeps falling back to 7.2.

Thanks in advance!

Lucy

Just keep your FC higher than normal and the additives in that outdoor bleach will go away...may take a day or so, but they'll go away if you keep FC up.

Leave your pH alone for now. It should rise slowly on it's own.

Remember, we northerner's only have 12 weeks to swim. Subtract bad weather and then have milky water, or equipment problems loose us another couple weeks and it can make a pool owner very sad and frustrated.

I can't tell you what a difference TFP has made in my ability to be patient and roll with the issues. Thanks! You are terrific!

I just took an early morning peak... Day two. Ugly. Still can't see Third step. No improvement. Is this from phosphates in the outdoor bleach? I will pay the money for a quicker fix, if using a phosphate remover will help. This is the hottest week of the season.

So, I lied about being patient. :|

Outdoor bleach usually has thickeners in it and that can lead to foaming and possibly cloudiness. You should be able to filter it out running the pump 24/7. You can try shocking with the proper kind of bleach (of just somewhat elevate the chlorine level as Dave suggested) though I don't know if that will help get rid of the chemical causing cloudiness. Most people just wait and it clears up in a few days.

Howdy Neighbor! I can certainly keep your mind off that cloudy pool by having you come over and help me dig mine out! :mrgreen: Eh??? Whadda ya say?!!! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey, I'll be right over! Should I bring my own shovel? :wink:

Water was slightly better tonight. If its not better, I may just try First Aid...thanks!

:( Hey, dont hurt my feelings! OLD SCHOOL? I'll try and upload a picture of this old geezer... Its beautiful, can do laps and the whole family can be in the pool and there is still room for more! Economical...no. Sorry, just tried to upload. Can't do it from my iPad.

You're right about the powdering paint issues. I usally get ahead of that at startup...brush a lot and run the filter 24/7, back washing often. Then it settles down for the season. DE handles the paint filtering...the cartridge did not. I just had a new DE filter installed last week...no need to take apart just yet, I'm sure.

All, Thanks for your support! :wave:

I'm thinking that the white pool might be related to the chalky paint rather than the bleach. The high bather load would have stirred up a lot of paint. The small amount of bleach in 40, 000 gallons seems unlikely to be the cause.

Another possibility is that it might be de if there is something wrong with the new filter.

Rub your hand on the paint. Does it create a noticible cloud? Does it leave a residue on your hand?

Although still cloudy this morning, i can now see all the ladder steps. I did throw in extra bleach in last night. :)

I had seven family members in the pool on Sunday for about three hours. I had two puppies, who were experiencing water and swimming for the first time in the water for about 20 minutes total. When we entered the pool, the pool was diamond-like-sparkling. When we exited, the sparkle was gone, but it was clear.... Normal for my pool. I could see specks of dirt in the shallow end, and a small object sitting on the bottom of the deep. The paint shows on your fingers, but the paint dust does not kick up. I brush many times at start up to minimize paint powdering issues. I had purchased a 15-year guarantee paint, which has been replaced/repainted three times in eight years under the guarantee. I will not mention the brand because they have said that they will now refund the $2000 in paint costs, which I will use to refinish next season.

That night, I put in a quart of concentrated bleach. Almost immediately plumes of white clouds appeared where I broadcasted the outdoor bleach. The white clouds spread until the entire pool was white. That's why I assumed it was the outdoor concentrated bleach that injected contaminates.

I did have issues with a new cartridge filter that the PS installed last August. It could not handle the issues with MY start- up. It was undersized and would not clear the water. The replacement filter was installed last Friday. Saturday i had clear water for the first time since last August. By Sunday morning it was sparkling! I was thrilled.That story and more is documented in another thread on this site under equipment discussions. missing-my-de-filter-cartridge-not-cleaning-pool-leak-t60256

It has been a tough two month start up. I have two months left. Hope to work the kinks out this year with the support of this site. Next year will be much better. :wave:

You get reduced help when you post in different threads. Responders will seldom look up your old threads or even follow a link.....you just get skipped. Keep your info under one thread so we can easily see your whole "story".

Lrooth said:
Casey, I'll be right over! Should I bring my own shovel? :wink:

I have 2! One for me n one for you n then we can swim in your pool after working up a good sweat! :mrgreen:

(Hope you have good pressure on a return so I can get a good back massage!!!) :twisted:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.