Intex sand filter blows sand into the pool

Jun 24, 2013
We have an intex sand filter. We have never had problems with it. The beginning of this year, the sand was low, and we were going to dump it anyway and put clean sand in it. Anyway, we cleaned the pool, and backwashed the sand because it was dirty. After we turned it back on, it blew sand into the pool. About 4 dustpans full. We emptied the old sand and put new in it, the same sand we have used for 3 years, I bought from a pool supply. Just plain ole pool sand. After we cleaned the sand, we turned the pump back on and it blew sand in the pool again, and done it again this afternoon. Not much. I done some research and seen where if it does that there is a thing in the bottom of the filter, called a lateral. If is is cracked or broken, it will cause the sand to blow back in the pool. Not all of it though, just some of it. It said it is a 10 second job to fix, like screwing in a light bulb. But u have to empty all the sand to fix it. But before u do this, I don't know how u check it to see if that is the problem. I know it is not the sand. We have used the same sand for 3 years. cost me 21.00 for 2 50lb bags. Sand for a sand filter. No grade or anything. And this is the 1st time it has ever done that. I seen one comment on here where they said it blew almost all of the sand into the pool, I would be willing to bet, it is a broken lateral. Check it out. Kk

Welcome to tfp, kkayeusher :wave:

In addition to a broken lateral, a damaged spider gasket and improperly lined standpipe can also let sand return to the pool.

By the way, there is really no normal reason to replace sand...it does not wear out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.