Huntsville, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I was just getting ready to jump in after doing some yard work and noticed a few blotches of green in the deep end on the surface of the liner. I thought oh Crud! I had not tested in several days of sunshine. My Chlorine generator kept the pool at about FC 10 so I turned it down last week.

I ran in and got the test kit and:

FC 2.0
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 50
CYA 60

I ran and turn the generator on 100% and dumped 1 1/2 gallons of bleach (all i had here) in.
Any chance that I really have algae? I have never seen it before and maybe I'm paranoid but I thought the water felt a little slimy.
I will retest in the am.

Sure sounds like it. get your pool brush and brush it up off the bottom or anywhere you think it might be. The chlorine you added will probably get it quickly and you will not have to shock.

Use bleach to raise your FC and turn the generator down so you don't ruin the cell.

Got up this morning and FC at 10 & CC still 0. I am putting the chlorine generator back to 50% and I will do the overnight loss test tonight before shocking..............thanks everyone.

I did the OCLT. Last night FC was 11.5 and this morning it was 9.5. A couple of things that I may have done wrong. First, I did the test last night within 2 minutes of shutting off chlorine generator. Second, I left in polaris with a few leaves in the pool. Any chance that the generator, polaris, a few bugs, and a frog would have skewed the test? Water is crystal clear and no signs of algae. Before shocking, Any harm in waiting and doing the test again tonight and ruling out my mistakes?

Any harm in waiting and doing the test again tonight and ruling out my mistakes?
None at all. Your eyes are probably a better judge, in this case. If you see no visible signs of algae and your water is crystal clear, you are probably good to go.

If it was my pool, I would still keep the FC elevated for another 24-48 hours and then let it come back to normal. Of course, if you see the algae again, it's time to shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.