Pool Water

Jun 24, 2013
Delaware
Pool: Intex 15 x 48

Okay well first off the pool was filled with well water. I went to the pool store here and they told me to shock the pool and sold me a bag of the "poollife turborshock". I put it in the pool water and the next morning the water was coffee brown. So i waited over the weekend as they were closed until today. So i went out and got a pool sample to take with me the water was more green and could see to the bottom but barely. So here was the test results of the test:

Free Chlorine: 1.2ppm
Total Chlorine: 1.2 ppm
Combined Chlorine: 0ppm
pH: 7.7
Hardness: 116ppm
Alkalinity: 104ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 2ppm
Copper: 0ppm
Iron: 0.1ppm

They sold me a "poolife Intensive Stain Prevention", told me to put in 8 ounces and run the filter overnight. I did a check about 15 min ago and my readings are at:

pH 7.1-7.2
chlorine is barely reading, but was told not to add it till tomorrow after the Stain Prevention has had a chance to work. My question is what else can i do to get the water to a crystal clear rather then this Green. Below are a few pictures that i tried to get of the pool water color to give you more of what i talking about:

13402718.jpg

13402722.jpg

As you can see there is no visibility to the bottom and green as can be. Please help :cry:. Kids are just dying to go swimming.

Welcome.

I don't have well water but a quick google search tells me that they gave you a sequestrant to combat the metals in your water. The shock you used brought the metals out and that is why it looks like morning coffee.

Sit tight and someone with more knowledge will be able to help you better than I. :goodjob:

It looks like metals to me too, and I just wanted to point out here that you have a classic example of why we don't tend to trust pool store test results (and it looks like the pool store does not trust them either), there are limited things that can cause the reaction you describe, by far the most common is metal in the water, which reacted with the high level of chlorine that was introduced by the pool store shock product. Given that the pool store sold you a "stain remover" it sounds like they think it is a metals / iron problem also even though their own tests show only .1 ppm iron and 0 copper (different metals cause the water to turn different colors, exactly what type can sometimes fool you if you have a combination of metals). As to what to do, someone with more first hand experience than I have should be along soon, but I still have the general advice of reading the pool school link in the upper right, then go back and read it again after you have taken a little time to let the first read through sink in, most people get a lot more out of it the second time through, it really will help you understand what is going on with your pool, as well as how to manage it, not just for the current issue, but also in the future.

Ike

p.s. another note on the test results, they show your CYA at 2 ppm, I am guessing they are using some sort of computerized colormetric test strip reader, as it should be noted that the most reliable common test for CYA only reads down to 20 ppm and has a maximum reading of about 100 ppm, it is our experience that these sort of systems give false sense of accuracy, as they tend to give higher "precision" readings sometimes 2 place past the decimal place, but have a HUGE error margin, therefore it is common to get a reading something like this 2 ppm CYA, but what they don't say is that is plus or minus 30 ppm

I am reading it now as we speak, and i will wait patiently for someone who has more first hand experience. I'm just not sure why the pool store tells me 8 ounces yet the bottles instructions say 32 ounces per 10k gallons which would put me at about 1/2 bottle. Well back to reading :)

I notice in your sig line that you have a type A cartridge. Intex brand?

You can get better filters that will actually do the job, from Unicel or Filbur

Unicel C-4607, or Filbur FC-3710

The Unicel and Filbur are cleanable, instructions in Pool School

Yes i see i would say the ones i got are the cheap ones, i mean what else does Walmart sell :) . Matter of fact the brand name on here is Summer Escapes and says to change them every 2 weeks. But like i said i don't wanna buy a good filter and ruin it trying to get this green water to clear. Its pretty scary not being able to see your feet while in a pool :-(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Isaac-1 said:
Ike

p.s. another note on the test results, they show your CYA at 2 ppm, I am guessing they are using some sort of computerized colormetric test strip reader, as it should be noted that the most reliable common test for CYA only reads down to 20 ppm and has a maximum reading of about 100 ppm, it is our experience that these sort of systems give false sense of accuracy, as they tend to give higher "precision" readings sometimes 2 place past the decimal place, but have a HUGE error margin, therefore it is common to get a reading something like this 2 ppm CYA, but what they don't say is that is plus or minus 30 ppm

What i saw was they pulled out a disc looking thing filled it with my water sample, then they put it into a device hooked to a laptop. That's the best way i can describe it.

I get mine from Amazon.com. Caveat: you have to be careful when reading the description. There are many sellers that say things like "replaces Unicel" or "compatible with" etc. If in doubt, ask the seller if it is a genuine Unicel or Filbur. If it is, they will be more than willing to let you know, with no skirting around the issue.

Look at the listings on this page. You can see what I mean with some of the descriptions.

Well i will certainly look into those as soon as i can get this pool water from this nasty green color. So i guess we will see what the "Intensive Stain Prevention" does in the morning i suppose. Again only out the 8 ounces in like they said :-/

Well this is what it looks like today, not much of a change as i can see,

13406867.jpg

13406903.jpg

Any help would be great if anyone knows what to do from here. Test results are pretty much the same as before but with low chlorine now. Barely registered.

Put the full amount recommended on the bottle of "Stain Preventer", I don't know how effective that particular product is. I used hth Metal Control on mine which uses a phosphonic acid derivative which the metals article here says is one of the most effective. I put in the recommended dosage on the bottle and the pool cleared up fully within 12 hours. I will need to continue to put in 4 ounces weekly as a maintenance dose to prevent it from happening again.

Well i don't know if its metals or maybe just needs to be shocked again. Seems the brown water is gone and he moved in his friend green water. Ph stays at a good 7.2 but with the chlorine being pretty much at 0 maybe a good shock will help it??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.