Almost Done converting!

Jun 24, 2013
We started our conversion (thanks to reading MANY successful posts about it on here!) June 19th and we are at the point of clear water, new filter, and the FC and CC did not drop below 15ppm last night. I was reading about what was next and I am a little confused though. It says to get your CYA at 30 and ours is there. Then it says to keep your FC at 15 and the conversion is complete when your CC is less than .5ppm. My question is (and it might be a dumb one but I don't want to assume and do it wrong), every time our CC has dropped, our FC has dropped right along with it. Is this supposed to happen? If so, are we good to get the pool chemicals to the recommended vinyl levels (from the website) now and swim or is there a way to keep the FC high without keeping the CC high as well?
As of 7:30pm our numbers were:
CH 150
FC 16
CC 16
pH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 50

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

I do not think you are reporting the CC test right. Ideally the CC should be 0ppm ... so maybe yours is and you are actually reporting FC and TC (where TC = FC+CC).

What step do you think you are on in the conversion process?
pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion

Sounds like you are on 7 or 8 ... have you cleaned out/replaced your filter already?

You are right. We have been testing the FC and the TC thinking TC was the same as CC. So, we have replaced the filter and we thought we were on step 7. I would have to make a run to the pool store to get the CC tested. Do I need to do that before I do anything else?

Well, very stressfully to be honest! There have been three of us trying to argue this out. :hammer:

What I need to know now is what to do. :oops: Our water is clear, there seems to be no signs of baqua left, and we changed the filter. The test that I have ran these numbers:

CH 110
TC 15
FC 15
pH 8.0
TA 120
CYA 40

I can get a new test kit if that is the only way. We are only using what was given/recommended to us and it does not have CC on it.

What you should do is get a recommended test kit. It will make everything easier ... and likely you would have spent less money on the conversion.

Are you using your own test kit or pool store testing?

It looks like you might be done.

meicabee said:
Thank you! Can I get the recommended test kit at my pool store or do I have to order it online?

I appreciate your help :)

Well since the people here are providing tons of useful info it only seems right that you give your business to them and not the pool store.

The prices are fair and the advice is priceless :mrgreen:

Most likely you have to order it unless you have a commercial supply pool store. The key is the FAS-DPD chlorine test which in NOT the same as the DPD test most pool stores use and sell. The TF100 is the better value.

While it appears you completed the conversions without a test kit, having one will certainly help as you go forward to not rely on someone else for testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.