Pump and filter questions

Apr 14, 2008
East Texas
I have an above ground pool that is about 20,000 gallons. It came with a 1.5hp Astral pump and a sand filter, which I do not know it's size. I run this pump for 2 four hour session each day during the season. This causes a significant rise in the electrical bill. I have been thinking of replacing it with a smaller pump, but I am not sure what size to get, or if I need to replace the filter as well.

When I opened the pool this season, the pump is squealing as if it is about to die. It has been running 24/7 for 2 weeks during the opening phase, however. So I feel as if I am going to have to do something soon. The local pool store discouraged me from getting a 3/4hp and said not to go any smaller then 1hp. I only have one return on this pool and it shoots like a rocket.

So, can I just replace the pump with a smaller one? How small?
Or, do I have to get a properly matched filter as well? How do I determine the size of my existing filter?

While I can't comment on the sizing of the pump (there are many others on here that I'm sure will give you good advice) I can tell you that a pool store might not be the best place to get a motor. When mine went bad (sqealing lead to siezure) I found a company that specialized in electric motors. I took my motor in and got a replacement for MUCH less than what the pool store was asking for lesser quality motor.

I don't know if this is the norm or not, but that was my experience.

Sean

Sean, your experience, unfortunately, is typical :x

Thewayne, without even knowing the size of the filter I will tell you to get the 3/4 hp motor - you don't need the whole pump - a motor 'swap out' is fairly easy if you have the tools to do it and are even slightly handy. The smaller motor will save you $ on electricity and will surely be sufficient for your pool (and probably allow for better filtration!) If you get just the motor as I suggest, also pick up a new "shaft seal assembly" - those things don't react well to being removed and reinstalled and can cause real trouble (like needing a new motor) if they fail :shock:

This is a busy time of year for me, but I always try to keep track of the folks I've offered advice to, so if you have any questions about doing the change-out, just ask and I'll help you as much as I can without actually being in your yard :wink:

Attachments

• fgdf.jpg
    fgdf.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.