Shocking Process

Alynn

Jun 3, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Hi all. Have bee having a slight problem with green algae. Started the shock process(per pool school) on Saturday.
Water is clear until I brush, then very slightly cloudy, still mostly clear.

Adjusted ph
Tested CYA - 40 (bought enough to raise it to 75 once shocking is complete)
Brought chlorine up to 17 per CYA-Chlorine chart
Stayed consistent with testing, adding chlorine (if needed) every 4 hours.
Brushed twice Saturday and twice Sunday.
Cleaned cartridge filter Saturday and Sunday afternoon
FC dropped overnight last night from 17 to 15. Brought back up to 17 before work this a.m.
Tested when I got home, dropped to 10 - added chlorine to 17 , brushed.

Please let me know if I'm doing this correctly.....

Now, my question is this: am I wasting time and money(chlorine) by only being able to test in the morning and at when I get home from work?

This is a great place and I have learned so much, thank you all!

Alynn

22,000 Gallon In Ground with CrystalStone (pebble) finish in Blue Ice
Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG
Pentair 1.0 HP Pump
Hayward C1200 (120 S.Ft.) Cartridge Filter
Pentair Great White Automatic Pool Cleaner

Sounds like you are doing as good of a job as you can do when life gets in the way. Adjust before work, right when you get home and then right before bed ... the FC is doing the most work at night when the sun is not a factor. You could boost a little more

Keep it up and it will be cleared up soon :goodjob:

Thanks! I'm doing my best. Luckily it's not swampy green, just a light tinge when brushing. I will continue on, then!

What would be your recommendation for boosting the chlorine at night? 25?

Thanks again,

Alynn

Pentair 1.0 HP Pump

Actually I started that sentence and then decided not to finish it ... but forgot to delete it.

What I was going to say was you could boost a little higher in the morning so that it was higher all day ... problem is you lose a % to the sun, so as you raise the FC ppm higher, you will end up losing more to the sun. You should still end up higher by the time you get home, but it will cost a little more money.

Keep it below 24ppm (mustard shock level) if you decided to boost in the morning.

Passed the OCLT!!!!!

Been algae free for a week. Got my CYA will retest and vacuum today.

Thank you all for your help!

Alynn

Pentair 1.0 HP Pump

Well, back to SLAMing :-(

We have had enough rain yesterday and today to bring my water level even with my patio. Everything up until this morning was perfect, and has been since the 4th. But since it the rain has slacked up some, I went out to drain the water down to normal and noticed the dreaded green algae (light) rearing it's ugly head in my steps!

Arrrrgh!

Well, guess I'll start again with the shock process. Hopefully, it won't take a week this time.......

And it was so perfect, too! Test results numbers dead on, and water was crystal clear....

Welcome to Florida!

Pentair 1.0 HP Pump

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.