12v Hayward Color Logic Grounding quesiton

Apr 28, 2013
Hi, All

I was told by the "Pool Store", that if you had a 12v pool light, the ground wire to the inside of the wet niche was unnecessary. The light is 2 wire, which I guess makes sense. I know it needs to be bonded to the outside of the niche, but is the grounding wire to that internal lug that needs potting compound necessary. This is more for my knowledge. Just looking for a reference.

Thanks
Rod

My local inspector said YES, it was necessary. #8 green jacket from internal lug (potting compound) through conduit to ground strip in junction box. I used Pentair 5g LED lights and Pentair stainless steel niches.

Now, my Pentair bubblers have no metal on the lights or the niche, and specifically do NOT require any bonding or ground wire in the conduit. They have no external or internal lug. No metal at all.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe it depends on whether the niche and light have any metal parts or not... not 120v vs 12v. But I may be wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.