Low suction with vacuum

Jun 24, 2013
I'm new to this site. I'm having problems with vaccum suction on an above ground pool. I've replaced the hose and the connector piece to the skimmer. Pump works great prior to hooking up the hose. It immediately loses suction. I'm extremely frustrated and am out of ideas. Please help!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Chances are your hose can't supply enough water to keep your pump primed. Try using a skimmer plate designed for an above ground pool which has a bypass to let water flow directly into the skimmer while using the vacuum. Or you can drill progressively larger holes in a fixed skimmer plate until it works.

Hi!, I'm new to the site but I've had one inground and one above ground pool over the past ten years. With the inground we had a Hayward cleaner with about 50 ft of hose on it. If we had it out for any reason I would take the hose sections apart and then re-attach one section at a time to the cleaner allowing it to sink deeper into the pool until all the sections were on and full of water, then I attached the hose to the skimmer and it always worked great. If I didn't make sure each section was full it just wouldn't work. Another thing you need to make sure of is that the pump capacity flow rate is at least what the cleaner/vac. manufacturer is calling for.

We have a Summer Escape 18 ft. x 48 inch above ground (5200 gal.) that I just replaced the original pump and cartridge filter with a sand filter and a pump rated at 1500 gal per hour. It works very well with the exception of the Intex floating skimmer that I bought. The support bracket that goes over the pool ring keeps twisting which allows the skimmer to turn sideways and starves the pump for water. Any answers on how to stop that? I'm sure I'm not the first person to have that problem. Seems like a "saddle" 6 or 8" wide to straddle the ring would keep the skimmer where it belongs.

gjscott45

Not sure which pool you have but the intex plunger valve, new style, has a valve on top for bleeding air. It also has a sping loaded valve that allows air in if the inlet gets blocked. On my pool, I had to seal that valve to get my vacuum working properly. Keep in mind it's a safety feature so if you have young children who could become trapped by the intake, look for a less permanent solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.