CYA Active

The pool is definitely consuming too much chlorine, but we need full test results to answer what is happening and how you are getting the test results.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

Is the water crystal clear?

It may not be fully active for a week after dissolved from the sock. But we recommend assuming it is active.

The loss depends on the CYA level, the sun exposure, organics in the water, and how high ppm you are maintaining. The CYA kind of sets the % that is lost to the sun.

Say at CYA of 30ppm, you lose ~50% each day. If you started at 4ppm, you would lose 2ppm. If you started at 10ppm, you would lose 5ppm each day.

If you had 0ppm of CYA, you would lose 50% of the [s:1qc0u3oh]CYA[/s:1qc0u3oh] FC to the sun every HOUR.

Im testing with test strips right now because I was unaware of the better kits, but it is what I have to use right now. PH was at 7.8 TA was at 80 CYA would not register. I was unable to maintain any fc until I dissolved 6lbs of stabilizer thru sock on discharge yesterday. put bleach in last night checked this morning and fc was about at 3 added gallon 8% about 3-4 hours later fc at 4 added another gallon 3-4 hrs later fc about 3 added gallon about hour ago now fc at high 10(checked with test strip) for a hour. the pool was in real bad shape had leaves allege and a lot of tad poles from the frogs. pool is now milky blue able to see about 2 feet down. it sits in full sun right now about 85 degs., this week.

Well you were much more aggressive with the CYA addition than we would have recommended. The 6 lbs should add around 48ppm ... we would have recommended performing the shock process at around 30ppm. Plus, apparently you are assuming you had 0ppm of CYA, which is not likely true unless this is a new fill ... and the strips are often very inaccurate.

I agree with the above. You need to follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS and to do that correctly, you need to order one of the Recommended Test Kits ... the investment will pay itself off pretty quickly once you KNOW the condition of your water.

I certainly hope your CYA is not much higher than 50ppm, or you will likely need to replace some water to lower it before the shock process.

Also, Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

Welcome to tfp, jim001 :wave:

Definitely follow jbliz's advice and get an appropriate test kit. It will save you in the long run. Many of us have the tf-100 which is the best value.

Once you have the appropriate tool, then you can figure out what is going on with the pool.

I would proceed with shock but first i need the pool to hold the chlorine to get there.
A pool does not "hold" chlorine. Chlorine is consumed constantly by two things. Sunlight and the contaminants in your pool.

You have excess contaminants (organics) and you need to shock the pool to clear them out.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well I think from reading here and all the help that my problems were two fold Sun (lack of cya had to add a lot of water when opening) and the darn decomposing tad poles hope i have them all vacuumed out cant see the bottom yet. Test kit will be ordered next pay day,(unless i have to buy another 55 gal barrel of bleach).

jim001 said:
Is CYA active once it has dissolved in sock? or am I just wasting more bleach? Would to 3 gallons of 8% a day to just stay at about 10 ppm for a 15000 gallon seem like a lot? it falls to like 3 ppm in about 3-4 hours.

Welcome to TFP Jim. Good advice here, and hang tough for a while. It will come around with good chemistry, testing and some elbow grease.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.