Is my pool piped correctly for a discharge cleaner?

I recently moved from a house where I had a suction driven cleaner. I was really happy with it, and with the way my pool was piped. I could divert suction from skimmer /floor drain/cleaner via 3 way valves.

My new house, I am not too crazy about how they piped it;

-it has only one suction line in, this means I have no control if the pump draws from the skimmer or the floor drain.
-there are two discharge lines, one runs through the filter and salt generator and supplies about 3-4 jets. The other bypasses the filter/generator and feeds one jet meant for a discharge powered cleaner.

My concern is, it doesn't seem to make sense to bypass your filter/generator to power your cleaner. Is this right?

Also I have not yet put a discharge cleaner in the pool yet, so I don't know how much water I need to divert to power the cleaner. I suppose if it only takes a small amount of water to power then this piping scheme is not an issue.

Pic is attached.

Attachments

• pool piping mark up.jpg
    pool piping mark up.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 38
First, your floor drain is likely plumbed to the skimmer and then from the skimmer to the pump. You should have a float diverter under the skimmer basket that allows you to reduce suction from the skimmer to make it more from the floor (they either look like a space ship or a twinkie).

About the pressure cleaner, I am not sure how much flow they require, but be sure to get one that does not require a booster pump. I agree it is a little odd if the cleaner requires a lot of low as then that could impact the filtration and SWG.

FYI, depending on the size of the cleaner pipe, you could replumb that line and make it a dedicated suction cleaner pipe if you are more comfortable with that. You would then add a 3-way to allow you to select the cleaner or the skimmer/floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.