Intex - hard plumbed PVC backwards ... anyone else?

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I don't have pictures to share yet .... will try to upload them tonight.

We hard-plumbed our pool with 1.5" PVC and since we intend to add a skimmer in the next 30-45 days (no enough nerve yet) and not wanting to end up with 3 holes, we went ahead & "reversed" the holes. Meaning, the "higher" hole is suppose to be the return and the "lower" one being the "suction". but instead we used the higher one for the suction (will become the skimmer) and the lower one for the return.

Anyone else done this? Anything we're going to regret?

I don't see as it makes much difference which you use as suction, as long as water level is high enough. Honestly, I would prefer my suction to be plumbed with a good through wall skimmer, and a very low suction, with throttling valves on both or a three way valve to balance the flow from each.

Charlie_R,

Just want to be sure I understand ... you're saying your preference would be to have 3 holes altogether ... 1 return + 2 suctions (one skimmer & one very low)?

BTW - THANKS for your posts about hard plumbing the Intex. It helped us a GREAT deal!!

Actually, when I do hard plumb my pool this summer, I will be putting in two returns as well as the through wall skimmer and suction port. I plan on closing the original holes provided by Intex, with patches inside and out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.