Pool Digger Baton Rouge, La Area

Jul 31, 2009
Gonzales, La
Doing a DIY gunite install and the pool digger we had lined up has fallen off the face of the earth. Have contacted a few other pool diggers but they are 2-3 months out now that pool season are here. He was going to do forms, dig, steel and intial plumbing. Does anyone in South Louisiana know of anyone that sets forms and digs pools. Or do you guys think it can be done by anyone with a excavator? I do have someone with a backhoe that could probably do it. If I knew the depths to dig plus gunite thickness I'd probably have him do it. Pool is basic 15x30 rectangle, 3.5 to 6' deep. And a 6x12 tanning ledge off one conrner on the long side.

Thanks,
Todd

There is a guy here on the forum who did his own in BR. He is also a mod/expert. His name here is Lershac, so you might look him up for some help.

Edit: I just noticed you're in Gonzales. Good friend of mine is from dow there. He's a Bourgeois...go figure. :mrgreen:

Thanks Brushpup. I've talked to Lershac before. He did his own dig which is exactly what I am thinking of doing now. The plumbing is the only thing that I am not quite sure about at this time. My brother is building(by a high price contractor is) a gunite pool at the same time so I can take measurements and get info from his build. Only problem is his hole was dug almost a month ago and nothing done till this past Sunday when the rebar crew showed up unannounced to install the rebar. I would have thought the initial plumbing would have been put in before the rebar. Anyway I would rather someone experienced follow thur to gunite spray stage if possible.

Todd

Good luck man and keep us posted. I agree as what you say makes common sense, but I know nothing about building pools. Hope your brother doesn't give you to much of a hard time for your DIY choice. :)

Update,
My brother had his gunite shot Wednesday evening. So I had time to take detailed pictures of his dig, steel, and plumbing. Coincidently we contacted the very same gunite crew about shooting my pool. So with that said we are going to go after it ourselves.

Question for you pool builders: On his pool returns he had two on one side of the pool at about 12 below waterline level and slightly pointed to the water surface. Skimmer on this side of the pool. And on the opposite side they had two returns at about 18" below waterline level slightly pointed downward. Is this standard plumbing? Each of the returns were 2" from pump and with 90 degree elbow right at the pool dropping down to return height and reduced to 1 1/2" going into the pool. Is this standard to have the that many elbows before the just entering the pool. And is 1 1/2" the required size into the pool?

Thanks,
Todd

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.