Thread: Tested Water getting ready to buy Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Tested Water getting ready to buy Chemicals

I just got my Taylor test kit and my first results came back

FC=4.8 - adjusted SWG% down
    CC = .4
    CYA = 30
    PH = 7.9 - added 30oz of MA last night
    TA = 85 - ran fountains - spill over and returns pointed to surface to aerate
    CH = 150

Before I go and buy chemicals I want to be sure I am not over buying since this is my first go at it - The pool calc is telling me to add:

40 pounds of Calcium Chloride and about 10#'s of CYA - does this sound about right? Just want to be sure before pulling the trigger.

Also any suggestions on where the best buys are for pool chemicals - online perhaps?

Thank you.
    IG built in 2007 - Gunite/ Plaster - Lake shape -29,000 Gallons w/ 8' spill over spa (raised)
    SWG - Hayward / Aquarite T-15 cell - Goldline/ Smart Controls (remote)
    AquaComfort Heat Pump (1500A) -Smart Quad Cartridge Filter
    Hayward Northstar filter pump (2HP) -Hayward Booster Pump (.75HP) -Hayward Super II Pump (1.5HP)
    Hayward Viper Auto Cleaner - Fiberoptic laminar patio fountains (3) -Located in New England with full sun

2. Back To Top    #2
    I found some deals online once... I ordered "frog" supplies and they were cheaper than the local store. I also ordered "shock" and they sent me "shock" for INDOOR pools....

Be sure you are getting what you really want, before you order.

Your TA doesn't seem high to me...why aerate? That will raise your PH which is on the high side.

What is your target for CYA?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3
    Target for CH is 300 and my target for CYA is 70 -
    IG built in 2007 - Gunite/ Plaster - Lake shape -29,000 Gallons w/ 8' spill over spa (raised)
    Hayward Northstar filter pump (2HP) -Hayward Booster Pump (.75HP) -Hayward Super II Pump (1.5HP)
    Hayward Viper Auto Cleaner - Fiberoptic laminar patio fountains (3) -Located in New England with full sun

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gtr1721
    Target for CH is 300 and my target for CYA is 70 -
    That sounds good. Adjust those two and allow TA to go down to around 60 or 70 naturally and you will be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Jason do those qty's sound right for the CYA and the Calcium I need to add - I just want to be sure because it seems like a lot to put in?

Approx - 300 oz/ 40#'s of Calcium and 150 oz/ 10#'s of CYA

6. Back To Top    #6
    Yes, that is about right. Don't add either one all at once and lower the PH to below 7.5 before adding any calcium.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School