Dogs and Vinyl Covers

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
Do they make any products for dogs like boots or something that would allow them to get into the pool without any risk of tearing the liner with their claws? I have an 85 lb labradoodle and he really wants to jump in and I am really scared he might puncture the brand new liner. Thoughts?

Labs have webbed feet so they can swim.

I am not sure how the feet on your labradoodle ended up, but in saying that I believe the poodle is one of the most intelligent breeds of dogs there is & I know the labs we had through the years we super intelligent ~ we were Duck Dynasty at my house before Duck Dynasty was cool :) My Dad and his beard raised several duck dogs. We also had an IGP ~ show the dog the ladder and you should be fine. I would not cover his/her feet as they need those feet to keep their head above water. We never lost a liner to a dog. Multiple times to deer, but never our dog or the blind neighbors dog who would find it's way across the road through the front & back yard to the pool.

They also make pool ramps for dogs.

Make sure if you allow the dog in pool ~ the pool area is secure when you aren't around because if it enjoys the swim it takes with you it will most likely enjoys swims at its leisure if pool security allows it to enter.

We've had several sets of dog shoes over the years. They all had one thing in common.....the dogs HATED them. Seriously!

Might i suggest trying some kids socks on the dog first, and see if you can get him to wear them. In fact, kids socks might work BETTER! The boots are form fitting and that was part of the problem.

Ruffwear makes some great dog boots. They're not slippery on the bottom and hold up well. As far as the dog not liking the boots. They all get used to them. For the first few times, the dog will walk around a bit crazy, but we've had no issues with a Great Dane and a German Shepherd.

Got ours from REI. Prior to this, we tried other dog boots but this is the brand we've had most success with.

I am not sure how well the dogs would be able to swim with the boots on, on a side note I have never had problems with dogs doing damage to the liner, my photo shows my 120 pound mastiff walking down the insert steps to the pool (usually it is more of a leap down the stairs)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.