My Craigslist 18x34 Doughboy AGP build

May 17, 2013
Hudsonville, MI
Hey,

My pool saga started last summer when I found a 28' round AGP, with a deck that went all the way around the pool, a slide, and all the equipment, on CL, for $100. All I had to do was tear it down and haul it home. I worked for a week straight, after my day job and over the weekends to tear out the huge deck and pool. I stored it all in my garage over the winter with the plan to build it in my yard this spring. I went to my township to apply for the appropriate permits and I was promptly told I could not build a pool where I was planning to, it would not meet the zoning ordinances. Now I live on a corner lot, and I have one of the biggest yards in my subdivision. But, due to my double road frontage, I have two front yards (in the eyes of the zoning board), and I am not allowed to put a pool in my "front yard". Well, the wasn't room for a 28' round pool where the township said I could have a pool, so I hopped on CL and started looking for ovals! :roll: I found a 18 x 34 doughboy. I picked it up for $100 (I had to tear it down.... :hammer: ) and it was in excellent shape! Way better than the 28' round.

My next hurdle was the weather. We had the excavator scheduled for Fri, June 14....he couldn't dig...my clay yard was too wet. We would try for Monday. I stormed like crazy again Sat. night. Monday was out... :hammer: Try for Wed. Wed was a go! I took a bunch of pictures on my camera, but due to some unforeseen issue it will not connect to my computer, so these cellphone pics will have to due!

Did I mention that my yard was solid clay? After the excavator left it took me 5 hours to dig out for the 4 wall supports for one side of the pool. The next day I was digging from 8 am to 8 pm (with a few food breaks :wink: ) and I finished to 4 side supports on the other side as well as the 7 patio blocks for one radius end of the pool. This pic is from somewhere in the middle of that hellish day :lol: Oooops...I thought I had a pic of me digging. Oh well, here is Murray, supervising!

Friday, was another big day! I finished digging the final patio stones! :party: The digging in the clay was over :party: My wife and I put the wall up, as well as all of the top rails. One of my buddies stopped over and he helped me with a good chunk of spreading the sand. Then my brother, my mother and father-in-law, my wife and I managed to get the liner stretched over the pool and start filling.

Here is the wall, in place

Here is the liner.( This was actually on Sat)

So Friday night we only managed to fill the deep end of the pool. Sat morning we started up the hoses and finished filling to just below the skimmer. This took most of Sat. The liner seemed to stretch in pretty smoothly. I had a couple of small wrinkles where the wall bows around the side supports.

Sunday, my wife and I , took apart the top rails and wrapped the liner over the pool wall, then put it all back together. I was going to cut in the skimmer and return, but I realized I didn't have the correct gaskets. At any rate, the children could be restrained no longer! I needed to get in and make sure the bottom felt solid :cool: The water was crazy cold :shock: but we had some fun!

Tonight I will pick up the correct skimmer gaskets and get the pump running. Then it's time to start chemistry class!

Make sure you get a TF-100!!! Pool looks awesome!!!

Looks great! I also live on a corner lot and although my side yard is not considered a "front yard," we are also limited to what we can do in that area so we don't disrupt the "line" of the street, like I know we cannot make our garage wider. I did look into whether an inground pool could be put in our side yard and I think I found that it could go there, but it would be about 2 feet from the side of my garage (because it has to be 30 ft from the street or something like that). Would make for a very narrow pool! So we just stick with the Intex in the backyard and dream of an inground :-D . It is amazing the free stuff you can get off of craigslists for pools. I have seen many pools and decks for the taking. Looks like you got a great deal, can't wait to see the deck go up (are you able to use some of it?).

We are also putting up a Doughboy that we found for 100.00 on Craigslist back in January! Didn't get a slide though. Ours is 12X24 (or maybe 16x30) no slide but it did come with a gas heater and a solar cover on a roller. Yours look great, enjoy the summer!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on your new to you pool. You are going to love it. If you have been clicking around this site you already know to get a good test kit & stay out of the pool store when it comes to balancing your water, so you are already way ahead of the game! I also wanted to reply to say "Hi, neighbor!" (I'm in Grand Rapids) Are you going to Zagars for your skimmer stuff? I know they are a Doughboy dealer--they installed the pool I have in 1985. I think Zagars is over your way, isn't it? Anyways, I'm sure it doesn't make any difference what make your skimmer is as long as it works!

I like how Murray "supervises." It looks like he works as hard as my dogs.

DebbieO said:
Welcome to TFP! Congrats on your new to you pool. You are going to love it. If you have been clicking around this site you already know to get a good test kit & stay out of the pool store when it comes to balancing your water, so you are already way ahead of the game! I also wanted to reply to say "Hi, neighbor!" (I'm in Grand Rapids) Are you going to Zagars for your skimmer stuff? I know they are a Doughboy dealer--they installed the pool I have in 1985. I think Zagars is over your way, isn't it? Anyways, I'm sure it doesn't make any difference what make your skimmer is as long as it works!

I like how Murray "supervises." It looks like he works as hard as my dogs.

Hi! I did get my gaskets at Zager's...along with a liner and....LOL!

I managed to get my skimmer and return hooked up, but now my sand filter is leaking. It is one of the older Hayward filters where the body of the filter is two halves held together with around 20 bolts in a flange. It is leaking, in two places, around the flange. I put a couple of buckets under the leaks so I could run for a while, last night. I'll have to take it apart and check the O-ring tonight. Are there any other suggestions? Any sealant or something that should go in the flange?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.