Newbie question about vacuuming

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
I've got some fine sand/dirt that settles to the bottom overnight and the Polaris seems to just stir it up rather than pick it up. So I'd like to vacuum it, but I've never used a pool vac before.
I've got a vacuum head and hose but no adapter plate that fits over the skimmer basket. There are two holes in the skimmer, and I'm assuming that the vac hose will fit into one. Do I leave the filter in filter mode or put it on "waste"? The pool guy said to put it on waste, but I didn't think I would need to do that every time when there is only a little bit of debris. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

I made an adaptor so the hose fits better in the suction hole, but otherwise, you are correct. The filter can handle some dirt - that's why it's there.

Set the head in and then push the hose down slowly a length at a time to push out the air and fill it with water, then hook it up and go. Sneak up on the dirt - let the suction pull the dirt into the vacuum ahead of the head.

Ok, I just tried it and something is not right. There are two holes in the skimmer. A big one with suction, and a small one that doesn't seem to have any suction. The end of the vac hose fits in the small hole. If I put it in the big one, it feels like it's going to suck the hose in - the diameter of the hole is larger than the hose. I suppose I need one of those adapter plates. Not sure how the previous owner vacuumed without one...

Razorhog said:
Ok, I just tried it and something is not right. There are two holes in the skimmer. A big one with suction, and a small one that doesn't seem to have any suction. The end of the vac hose fits in the small hole. If I put it in the big one, it feels like it's going to suck the hose in - the diameter of the hole is larger than the hose. I suppose I need one of those adapter plates. Not sure how the previous owner vacuumed without one...
A vacuum plate won;t help - that other holse likely leads to the main drain. It will be less work to draw a fairly short distance from the drain through straight pipes than through a lengthy corrugated twisted hose.

I bought a plastic sink tailpiece for about two bucks and screwed it into a threaded coupling I already had. Fits snug, keeps the hose out of the suction port. Measure the hole and the hose and go browse the plumbing aisle.

I'm sorry, I guess I just don't understand. (Probably making it way too complicated)
You said you keep the hose out of the suction port - so how does the vacuum suck?
I like the idea of being able to vacuum with the skimmer basket in place, if needed for larger detritus.

Try putting the hose in the large hole with the pump off to see how it seats. If it bottoms out then try it with the pump on and after you have filled the hose with water from a return. Mine swallows the cuff about halfway and no more--then it vacuums just fine with no plate and no adapter. The suction seals it perfectly. If your PO did it without either one, odds are it works that way on yours, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I'll try it again when I get the nerve lol. And thanks so much for the picture Richard!
Sorry a couple more questions -
When I stuck the vac hose down in and it got a good seal, my wife said the vac head was sucking so hard she could barely move it. Is that normal?
Also, in the same situation, the pump changed sounds like it was struggling. Kind of like when you are using a regular vacuum cleaner and something blocks the tube. Is it normal for the pump to sound different?

Razorhog said:
Thanks for the tips and suggestions, I'll try it again when I get the nerve lol. And thanks so much for the picture Richard!
Sorry a couple more questions -
When I stuck the vac hose down in and it got a good seal, my wife said the vac head was sucking so hard she could barely move it. Is that normal?
Also, in the same situation, the pump changed sounds like it was struggling. Kind of like when you are using a regular vacuum cleaner and something blocks the tube. Is it normal for the pump to sound different?
Yep, that's normal. At least for me. When the head sticks, don't try pushing it off; you'll just bend the pole. Ask me how I know. Pull it off.

If you have a separate valve for the floor drain, you can open it a little to reduce the suction. Or you could try cutting a slot or drilling a hole in the adaptor to allow some suction that way, which will reduce the head sticking to the floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.