new pool readings

Mavrk

May 24, 2013
Central/East FL
I just moved into a house with a swg pool (see sig for details). The pool is algae free and nice and clear. After adding water to get it to the right level, I got out my Taylor K-2006 test kit and took the following readings late last night:

FC = 6
CC = 0.5 (one drop)
pH = 8.0 (or higher)
TA = 80-90
CH = 190
CYA = 32 (higher than 30, lower than 35)
Salt = 2750 (aqua check test strip) or 2900 (SWG control panel)
Borate = 15 (insta-test test strip)

I am trying to figure out the order to adjust all of this. I do plan on increasing the borates to 50 at some point, but not until my other numbers look better. I used the pool calculator to get the amounts. I am going to lower the percent on the SWG by 5% (although, with a little CC present maybe not).

Start by lowering the PH to around 7.2. That will also lower your TA a little (which is high but not time critical).

The start working on raising CYA and CH. CYA should be between 70 and 80 for a SWG pool. CH should be between 250 and 350 for a plaster pool.

The raising the salt level just a little (say to 3200) and Borate to 40 or 50 are both lower priorities, but worth getting around to eventually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.