FC after shock

chrisgjim said:
Richard320 said:
Target level depends on CYA level.

Can you post test results?

Added 8 lbs. to raise the cya levels Saturday night. Still reads 0. pool is 23,000 gallons. FC is 0 and the algae are loving it.
4 lbs only brings CYA to 21, which is below the tester's ability to measure. Shock level is 12 for that CYA.

I'd suggest adding another two pounds of stabilizer to get CYA up to 30ish, which will raise shock FC to 14. The higher FC level is offset some by the better UV protection.

Richard320 said:
chrisgjim said:
Richard320 said:
Target level depends on CYA level.

Can you post test results?

Added 8 lbs. to raise the cya levels Saturday night. Still reads 0. pool is 23,000 gallons. FC is 0 and the algae are loving it.
4 lbs only brings CYA to 21, which is below the tester's ability to measure. Shock level is 12 for that CYA.

I'd suggest adding another two pounds of stabilizer to get CYA up to 30ish, which will raise shock FC to 14. The higher FC level is offset some by the better UV protection.

The calculator says that I need almost 6 lbs to get the CYA to 30. I already added 8 lbs. and what I understand it may take a week for it to dissolve. You think I should add another 2 lbs of stabilizer?

Last night I added 2 lbs of 72% powder shock and that did nothing. I was going to get liquid shock today, because in the past that always worked to the best. In the past out pool store told us to add 8-12 gallons of shock, the calculator is saying just under 3 gallons.

chrisgjim said:
Richard320 said:
chrisgjim said:

The calculator says that I need almost 6 lbs to get the CYA to 30. I already added 8 lbs. and what I understand it may take a week for it to dissolve. You think I should add another 2 lbs of stabilizer?

Last night I added 2 lbs of 72% powder shock and that did nothing. I was going to get liquid shock today, because in the past that always worked to the best. In the past out pool store told us to add 8-12 gallons of shock, the calculator is saying just under 3 gallons.
Ooops. No, I misread that or something. Somehow I thought you added 4 lbs. My mistake. :oops: Leave CYA alone.

With 8 lbs, CYA should be 42, so shock level is 15. Follow the Pool Calculator dosage. In about two hours, your FC will be lower, let the pool calculator tell you how much to add to bring it back up to 15. Overall, I suspect you'll be using more than 12 gallons of liquid, but in doses, not as a blast. Sort of like taking antibiotics. You take them for several days, not all at once.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.