Troubleshooting CVA-24T Valve Actuator

Hog1991

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 24, 2012
Hello,

I have a Pentair CVA-24T valve actuator on my Spa/Pool Return that quit working over the weekend. Before I went out and ordered another one wanted to make sure there wasn't a few obvious things I had overlooked. It is not quite 4 years old, and curious if this failure is typical, and just replace it all, or a simple (cheaper) part failure may be the cause.

1. I did try the toggle switch on the back in and was unable to get any movement on the valve.
2. I reset the breakers on the panel, switched the spa/pool setting a few times to see if it would reengage (it would not).
3. I tried to listen to see if the motor was engaging at all, and hear absolutely nothing from the actuator when it is set to engage.

So, I figure I need to verify the wiring back into the control panel (Pentair EasyTouch), but have a few questions about how all this works:

1. The cable only disconnects at the panel, correct? (meaning, the connector piece that goes into the actuator is not meant to disconnect at the actuator itself. Obviously I could open it up and physically disconnect the wires, but the new ones all seem to have all the cable included so it would seem that at the panel is where it is meant to be connected/disconnected).
2. I was going to try and swap that actuator with my other one at the control panel to verify that it is something 'after the panel', the wiring, motor, or switch in the actuator itself. Are there any other things I should try?
3. If I open up the panel to test that, do I need to cut the breaker off at the house, or are the breakers on the panel the only ones I need to turn off before working on it?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Dan B.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.