How to protect pipe repairs?

rock

Apr 26, 2012
I came here to find what to use to paint the fixes to my pipes this week and the mods made this its own thread.

Here are the related threads I read prior to posting:
UV degradation of PVC piping, by DLSDO
Painting PVC pipe, by j_blizzie
Painting PVC pipes, by el_steak
painted pvc pipe, by no-mas
Painting above ground pipes, maybe help heat?, by Owner/Builder

The problem is that most (almost all) the links reported in those threads were dead.
So the next post will have the latest links so that all benefit from the effort.

Re: UV degradation of PVC piping

I came here to find out how to protect the PVC repairs I made this week.
It seems I need to protect using a water-based acrylic/latex exterior black paint.

Since some of the links were old and dad in the prior threads on this topic, here are some updates that all worked today:

UniBell FAQ on Studies of PVC Pipe Performance Over Time:
http://www.plasticengineeredproducts.co ... ll/faq.htm

The Effects of Sunlight Exposure on PVC Pipe:
http://www.nacopvc.com/c/technical-info ... n-pvc-pipe

Painting of PVC Piping for Ultraviolet Protection:
http://www.lascofittings.com/supportcen ... Piping.asp

How to Use Acrylic or Latex Paint on PVC:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/use-acryli ... 25511.html

13335710.jpg

Re: Painting PVC pipe

mas985 said:
Any paint would work fine. I use black spray paint.

Thanks. I don't know much about paint, so I have a FUD that may be unreasonable. :)
I read everything I posted above, and the main takeaway is that there are apparently "petroleum-based" paints, which, they say, may "eat" into the PVC plastic.
So, I just need to make sure whatever paint I do use isn't petroleum based (although I'm not sure how to tell other than to look for the three keywords "water based" "acrylic" and "latex".

While it may be true that a petroleum based paint might start to dissolve the PVC, as long as the paint dries quickly, as does spray paint, then it should not be a problem. It would only dissolve the PVC while it is still wet and not very quickly. I use the cheapest stuff I can find and although it does fade over time, it works fine. But you can also find spray paint for plastic if want to go that route.

I've painted some PVC black with Krylon Fusion before, this was a 6" tube with lids i used to store fishing rods. The Fusion scratched off fairly easily. Not that you'll be banging and scratching on the pipes, just sayin'

What I'm finding on my 33 year setup that has exposed (to the sun) white PVC piping is that the leaks begin to show up in the joints. It is not the pipe that is cracking or splitting, but I suspect the PVC glue is deteriorating possibly from UV at the surface, or shrinking/expanding with temp changes, or perhaps vibration from the pumps. I've had to cut out some elbows, replace, and add couplings over the years, but just recently, I've been using J&B weld at the leaky joints after shutting off all flow and pressure, and then cleaning/sanding around the joint leak area. So far this has been successful. It may not look real pretty, but I've got good at cleaning up any drips or smears before the stuff sets up. Alcohol works good for wiping up uncured epoxy.

Black or any color gloss, note you do not need undercoat painting plastic for whatever reason , a painter told me .tried it and four years later found out he is right ..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I've used the Quick Color shown in your picture and it works fine without any damage to the PVC. Like I said before, it isn't wet for very long plus acetone, the same stuff used in PVC glues, actually helps it stick better.

If the leak is in the coupler joint nut, don't use any J&B weld because it is permenant and you won't ever be able to unscrew the coupling to remove and replace that filter. There may be a rubber gasket that has deteriorated inside the coupler. Tighting the threaded coupling nut too much may have deformed the gasket or cracked it. Age ond years of pool chemical exposure may also deteriorate the gaket. If it is possible to loosen the coupling nut and replace the gasket (probably a Home Depot item) give it a shot.

It is possible that the interface of the plastic pipe to the coupler is glued and leaking (not the threaded section). If that is the case, than J&B weld might work. Your arrows point to the threaded part, so I'm guessing a bad gasket is the cause of the leak.

mas985 said:
acetone ... actually helps it stick better.

Interesting observation!

hoosierrun said:
If it is possible to loosen the coupling nut and replace the gasket (probably a Home Depot item) give it a shot.
The problem with the o-ring is determining the true size as it's a Sta-Rite 2" union.

Putting the Sta-Rite 2" union side by side with a standard 2" PVC pipe union from Home Depot, we see the o-rings are different sizes.
13402112.jpg

Perhaps you could take that old O-ring and the grooved insert to a pool store and see if they can match it up. Clean the surfaces and apply plumbers (silicon grease) to the O-ring and mating surfaces, as well as the thread to keep them from seizing up. The plumbers grease (or food grade grease) will help keep the O-ring from tearing as you tighten the nut. This looks fixable proviiding the contact surfaces are not pitted and don't have some residue on them.
Some Auto Parts stores like NAPA have O-rings but I'm not sure they carry them in that large a size. A well stocked hardware store might have them too. If you can't find plumbers grease, the white spark plug boot grease sold in Auto parts stores in a small tube will work. You just don't want to use any regular auto grease or oil with petroleum in it because it will deteriorate the O-ring over time. I have even swelled O-rings with WD-40, so I wouldn't use it either.

hoosierrun said:
Perhaps you could take that old O-ring and the grooved insert to a pool store and see if they can match it up.

Thanks for the advice. I use pool lube but I love the idea of getting a perhaps-cheaper second source of rubber-compatible lube at the auto parts store.
I called Pentair Pool at 800-831-7133x1x1x5 who emailed me the following information (but not the o-ring dimensions!):
13411787.png

For the leaking inlet:
a) Order the Pentair union 1/2 kit -- part # PKG 188 -- each package has (2) each of the union 1/2 collar, adapter & oring

For the leaking filter housing:
b) Order the
Flat washer 38907-0216
Flat washer 24850-0007
Retaining ring 24850-0016
Part # for the o-ring is 24850-0009 (thickness is .575" + or - .015" (30 durometer) with a nominal inner diameter of 25 inches)

Googling, I see that part number is about $30 but it contains more than what I (probably) need:
13403812.png

I'm going to contact them again to try to get the o-ring part number instead of the whole union (which is likely still good).
EDIT: I spoke with a Karl at Pentair Aquatic Systems (262-728-7372).
The 2" union o-rings are Pentair P/N: U9-362
13412048.png

Pkg. 188 2" Slip 1/2 Union Kit or Pkg. 189 2" NPT 1/2 Union Kit.
Includes 2 each:
a. U11-200P Union Collar
b. U9-362 O-Ring
c. U11-196P 2" Slip adapter or U11-199P 2" NPT adapter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.