Cloudy water!! HELP!!!

Mar 24, 2012
Kansas City
Hello..it rained a few times over the last weeks...... Yesterday I noticed that my pool water is cloudy (chalky white)I check the chlorine and found that it is zero my stabilizer is at 50, with PH 7.2, and total alkalinity of 180

Today I took a water sample to the pool shop and they told me I have high ammonia and they recommended that I shocked my pool With a total of 25 pounds... And to do it by 5 pounds every three hours. So far I have 10 pounds of shock added to the pool and five hours later I noticed that chlorine level is still zero.

I called the lady that always comes to clean my pool and she told me I might have water mold!!!
And she recommended that she comes to add an enzyme to the pool change my Filter sand and do nice scrubbing.....
I am not sure which one to go with as I got two conflicting information from both places can you please help with your experience thank you very much in advance

Thank you for the reply... I have a test kit but it Doesn't have ammonia algae or mold testing
Free chlorine zero
Stabilizer 50
Alkalinity 180
PH 7.2
Total hardiness 300

Shall I put all 25 pounds at the same time or follow the store instruction putting 5 pounds every three hours?
Thanks

So for the shock the store said I have 25 lb "shock demand"
I already put 10 lb shock (5lb then 3 hrs later another 5lb) then rechecked chlorine it's still zero!!!

Shall I put all the 15 lb shock left all together? Or continue to put 6 lb every three hours?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DoctorA said:
So for the shock the store said I have 25 lb "shock demand"
I already put 10 lb shock (5lb then 3 hrs later another 5lb) then rechecked chlorine it's still zero!!!

Shall I put all the 15 lb shock left all together? Or continue to put 6 lb every three hours?
Thanks
You need to decide if you will follow our suggestion The Shock Process or the pool store. Ours is to test and add appropriate amounts when needed. Theirs is to dump wildly with no regard for what the readings are at the time.

You're trying to mix two contradictory philosophies and it won't work. Pick one.

[center:1pfby2r6]
file.php
[/center:1pfby2r6]

So far every time I add 5 lb shock, I test the water an hour later and it shows good chlorine but couple hours later it goes back to zero.... So far used 15 lb shock and I'm at zero chlorine!!! My stabilizer also is now showing low on the test strip!!!

Any idea anyone what's going on??
Thanks

What is in that "shock" product? Ingredients listed on the label. Chances are it is a diluted form of dichlor if dry. Might be 10% or 12% sodium hypochlorite if wet -- higher concentrated bleach......at very high prices.

Shock is NOT a product!!!!! It is a PROCESS!

DoctorA said:
Thanks!!
I will follow your suggestion, add and retest
Will update with results tomorrow
Thanks

You didn't follow the suggestions here by adding more "shock" after people told you not to add it. :hammer:

As was stated earlier you need to choose between the people here (all with clear pools and nothing to sell you) or the pool store.

Read this post ..

need-help-after-being-pool-stored-t63544.html

He had issues, followed the advice he was given and is now swimming happily :mrgreen:

I followed the shock process here and in the morning found
FC: zero
CYA: zero
PH:7.0
TA:180
Hardiness: 300

I added 100 oz "pool perfect"
Which started clearing the pool, also had my pool guy put filter cleaner directly in my sand filter (Regal filter cleaner and degreaser and 1.5 lbs of shock).... Put it on recirculate I then back washed three hours later, and out it on "filter"......
Then this morning shocked with 15 lb sodium dichloro-s-truZinetrione..... It made a white cloud in top of of the pool but is starting to clear up now

I'm super frustrated... Used the pool school way here didn't work and I'm following the pool guy way which I'm not sure if its working but what he told me is that the only thing to bring my FC AND CYA DOWN TO ZERO IS MOLD!!!!

Helllllpppppp!!!!

1. Order a TF100 or K-2006 test kit today. It is the only way to accurately know what is going on with your pool.
2. While waiting for kit, Read Pool School, Re-Read Pool School. Repeat as necessary.
3. After getting kit, post test results here
We need:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

4. Follow The Shock Process
5. Keep posting test results here for more advice.

Your testing results are suspect, first post said stabilizer was 50, today, CYA is zero. This is impossible unless you completely drained and refilled your pool.

DoctorA said:
I followed the shock process here and in the morning found
FC: zero
CYA: zero
PH:7.0
TA:180
Hardiness: 300

I added 100 oz "pool perfect"
Which started clearing the pool, also had my pool guy put filter cleaner directly in my sand filter (Regal filter cleaner and degreaser and 1.5 lbs of shock).... Put it on recirculate I then back washed three hours later, and out it on "filter"......
Then this morning shocked with 15 lb sodium dichloro-s-truZinetrione..... It made a white cloud in top of of the pool but is starting to clear up now

I'm super frustrated... Used the pool school way here didn't work and I'm following the pool guy way which I'm not sure if its working but what he told me is that the only thing to bring my FC AND CYA DOWN TO ZERO IS MOLD!!!!

Helllllpppppp!!!!

If you followed the shock process then in the morning you would have immediately raised your chlorine levels back to your shock target using bleach.

If you put all that stuff in your filter, then placed it on recirculate, which bypasses the filter, and then Backwashed, what did you all expect the stuff to do?

DocA,
As it was said before, you must choose to either:
1) service your own pool easily and inexpensively by learning how in Pool School
OR
2) you can spend a fortune on products and services through the store/service in your area, and likely still have problems.

For certain, you cannot mix the two or three methods.

Based on your posts, it appears you have not used the Pool School methods. In fact, you did what precisely what you were suggested not to do by forum members. Multiple times.

So, DocA, there's lots of knowledge and experience on this site. You are welcome to take advantage of it, if you wish. But first, you must answer this ONE very simple question:

Do you want to be personally responsible for the condition of your pool, or do you want someone else to be responsible?

If you wish to be responsible, this forum is the place to learn how.
If you wish others (pool service & pool shop) to be responsible, then you must allow them complete control over your pool (and your wallet).

It seems you've seen the results of the latter, already.

A little learning, a little patience, a lot of self-confidence gained in the process. That's the TFP way.
I hope you give yourself the chance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.