GFCI Breaker?

Mar 12, 2013
I am currently installing a Jandy Sub Panel Power Center (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Jandy-66 ... 14AP-L.htm), and I will be putting my pump and one 120 volt light on it. They are currently (before the re-wire) plugged into a GFCI 20amp outdoor receptacle.

First question:
Since they will be wired directly into the power center to breakers, should I make those breakers GFCI? I think I know the answer, especially since I have already purchased the non-GFCI breakers.

Second question:
My upstream disconnect is a 60 amp box, but I only wired one 30-amp breaker in it because it is 10-3 wire, and it is run about 80 feet, and I've read that 30 amps is max for 10 gauge wire. I purchased two breakers: 1 single pole 20amp breaker (for pump), and 1 double pole 15amp breaker (for 120V light and 5amp draw to Jandy heater ignition). If I have to change these to GFCI, I may be screwed, because I need 3 places to wire a hot wire (pump, heater, light), and a 20 and 2 15's would put me at 50 amps, although it would never draw more than about 22-25 amps. What do I do? Is there such a thing as a double pole 15 amp GFCI breaker?

Larry

Not sure what the double pole breaker is for. You have 3 120V loads... you should use 3 single pole GFCI breakers. Single pole GFCI will be much cheaper (around $50 at Home Depot).

Jtech1, you actually had my assumptions and interpretations correct.

Apparently, I have read from a bad source that I could use a 2 pole breaker and run two separate 120 volt circuits off it. I also assumed that the total of my breakers could not equal greater than my disconnect breaker off 30 amps.

After much reading and more interpretation I have learned quite a bit. I realize now that I can have a total amount of breaker amps than my disconnect or main breaker.I knew that my system would never be loaded to its limits, but I also assume that codes and safety did not assume that. Therefore, I will now use separate GFCI breakers for each circuit. This is actually good news, because now I can add a GFCI outlet to my Power Center. It has knockouts for that if one desires to add point. I need a little hand to your place to plug in my robot rather than having to go up to the balcony every time.

thanks for all the help!

Larry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.