Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: muriatic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

muriatic acid

hey pool gurus....just got a quick question. this is the first year i'm using the b-b-b method and it's working great. the pool has never looked this good so soon after opening. as this is my first year, i've never dealt with muriatic acid before. i was wondering if it is normal to see a cloud of fumes coming out of the jug. just curious. thanx.
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, it is normal. I hold my breath while the jug is open. Nasty stuff if you get a whiff.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    thanx john. i thought maybe i was storing it wrong or something. glad to hear it's normal. and by the way, i did accidently get a quick whiff, and i won't be doing that again. wow! nasty stuff indeed!
    30' round above ground - 21000 gal. (shade ONLY in the evening),
    pentair dynamo 1.5 hp pump,
    pentair sand dollar 150 lb.sand filter,
    bbb method.

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep reading about this, but I've been using MA for a year now and have yet to see or notice these fumes. I only can get the 15% stuff in my nearby store though... guess it doesn't vaporize as easily.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by EskimoPie
    I keep reading about this, but I've been using MA for a year now and have yet to see or notice these fumes. I only can get the 15% stuff in my nearby store though... guess it doesn't vaporize as easily.
    Exactly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Yes, it is normal. I hold my breath while the jug is open. Nasty stuff if you get a whiff.
    You dang right it's nasty stuff!! I got a good whiff last season, so I only use the dry now.
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

7. Back To Top    #7
    Muriatic acid is standardized generally to 31.45%. I always see noticeable fumes. I did get a whiff of it once and regretted that. Now I hold my breath when I work with it (I should really have known better, as I've used HCl a lot in the lab, but I work under a fume hood there). I dilute mine in water before adding it to the pool or spa, as it's a bit easier on the pool liner, and I never see fumes after that. (Remember, if you do this, always add the acid to the water, not the water to the acid.)

It's fun to add to a bromine spa as it briefly will produce liquid bromine (dark brown) which quickly disappears back into the water. (Don't do this indoors...)