Alkalinity low, ph high?

Jul 18, 2010
Chillicothe, MO
Our pool is roughly 24,500 gallons, above ground. CYA is at 19, Chlorine 0, PH 8, Alkalinity 28, hardness 108. What do I do first, Adjust the Alkalinity and CYA? Should I add the baking soda to bring up the Alkalinity? And if so, won't that increase the ph too? And then I'd have to buy something else to lower it? Would love some cheap suggestions. Thanks!

What test kit did you use to get those results?

Should I add the baking soda to bring up the Alkalinity? And if so, won't that increase the ph too?
No. Baking soda has no affect on pH for our purposes.

The Cheapest suggestion I could make would be to stay out of the pool store.

Assuming those test results are correct (and that is a HUGE assumption.)

1. Get some chlorine in your pool right now....about 4-6 ppm.

2. Lower your pH down to 7.5 using muriatic

3. Raise TA up to 100 using baking soda.

4. Keep chlorine in your pool at all times by constant replenishment or you will soon have algae.

Consider managing your own pool instead of letting the pool store do it. I really doubt the validity of those tests

I bought a test kit today, My pool water really is like pond water right now. We are trying to et it started up for the season, and we have spent so much money in previous years, tyring to get it right and never succeeding, I just wanted to ask to make sure I do it right instead of flushing those chems down teh drain. KWIM? I will try your suggestions. Thanks!

duraleigh said:
The Cheapest suggestion I could make would be to stay out of the pool store.

+1
Been there before. Wish I had found this forum years ago.

Good luck getting your pool in shape. I just went through turning a swamp into a nice, clear, sparkly pool with the knowledge and advice from this forum. If you read through the Pool School (link at the upper right of every forum page) and listen to what these guys say, it'll work great.

Dave

I'm no expert, but I know I spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars at the pool store over the last couple of months trying to clear up a green swamp and ended up draining 2/3 of my water to get rid of all the stuff they sold me that made things worse so I could get it right using the methods taught here.

If I had known then what I know now, I could of fixed it all a couple of months ago with a good test kit, The Pool School, and the help of the good folks on this forum.

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.