Bleach

hairco said:
Am i right? Is everyone useing bleach instead of chlorine tablets for your CC & FC ?

To maintain my FC or to schock (get rid of CC), I use plain, unscented 6% bleach.

Sometimes I use the tabs (because I already have a bucket full) if I need to raise my CYA level or for vacation.

Plain, unscented laundry bleach and liquid pool chlorine are one and the same except for the strength. Both are sdoium hypochlorite. There are several kinds of chloirine that are suitable for a pool but they fall into two major groups, stabilized and unstabilzied.
The Stabilized chlorines are trichlor tablets and dichlor granules (which is sometimes sold as 'shock'). Both of these will cause your CYA (stabilizer) levels to rise as you use them and eventually lead to an over stabilized pool with all the problems that brings. With a cartridge filter this will happen in just a few months. It will take a bit longer with a sand or DE filter that is cleaned by backwashing bit it will still happen in most cases. The reason that many people use trichlor tablets in a feeder or floater is because trichlor is a very slow dissolving form of chlorine and it is the only form of chlorine that works with a feeder or floater. It's a esy way to chlrinate a pool until the stabilzier becomes too high.
The unstabilized chlorines are sodium hypochlorite (bleach and liquid pool chlorine), calcium hypochlorite (usually sold as powdered 'shock' but also sold as chlorinating granules) amd lithium hypochlorite (also sold as 'shock'). They do not contain CYA so they will not cause overstabilization.
Calcium Hypochlorite (cal hypo) wil cause your calcium levels to rise since it adds calcium to the water. This might or might not be a problem. It depends on how high your calcium levels are in your pool and fill water.
Lithium hypochlorite's only disadvatage is that is it the most expensive form of chlorine you can buy. If you can afford it go for it! It has no major side effects and it is convenient because it's a fast dissolving granule.
Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) also has no major disadvantages and is a very economical form of chlorine, which is why it is the one we recommend.
When using unstabilized chlorine in any of it's forms you do need to add chlorine to the pool daily but we are talking about 5 munites worth of daily testing and maintenance so it's not that much work and the rewards are a trouble free pool.
Hope this info is useful.

hairco said:
I had to put acid in my pool so now i don't have any CC FC So i thought i would try blesch .
Is that ok?
What kind of acid? Muriatic acid or dry acid won't have any effect on chlorine levels. If you are talking about ascorbic acid used in stain removal it will deplete FC until it is completely oxidized but you need to bring the chlorine levels up very slowly or the stains can return.
FC is the only kind of chlorine you want. CC is the 'bad' chlorine that you get rid of by shocking the pool. If your stabilizer is very high it is possible that you won't be able to hold a FC level because of nascent algae. I believe you said in a different thread that your stabilizer was 90 ppm which is too high. IF that is the case you need to work on lowering the stabilizer level in your water. If you would post a full set of test results and tell us exactly what you put into the pool we can help you. Without that information it's really impossible to know what is going on in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.