Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Northstar pump lid

1. Back To Top    #1

Northstar pump lid

I get air in the pump on low speed, seems to be ok on high. I replaced the T ring gasket in the lid. The lid doesn't fit as tight as it did when it was new. I am thinking of getting a pressure test o-ring and trying that. There is quite abit of flexing in the pump lid when switching between speeds. The cam action lid leaves no way to make it tighter.
    Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    Dave
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

2. Back To Top    #2
    It would be more likely to get air in the pump at high speed than low because the suction is higher. It could be that there is an air leak but at high speed, the air is moved out of the basket fairly quickly while on low there is not enough flow to evacuate it. One way to tell is to run the pump on high speed for a while and see if the filter has air in it via the bleeder valve.

Besides the pump basket lid, valves are usually the source of many air leaks.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3
    I think you might be have a "self-sealing" leak that seals when the higher suction that exists on high speed pulls the lid down. You might be able to seal the lid on low speed by partially closing a skimmer or drain valve to increase suction.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    mas985, JohnT
    I have to check out your suggestions. I do have a rattle noise in the multiport valve. I didn't notice a bleeder on the multiport.

I just took a quick look and I get some water from the lid switching speeds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Dave, where'd you hear about the blue pressure o-ring?

Those lids are just a poor design! What may be happening is that the pump on low speed doesn't create enough suction to fully seal the lid As anyone with a Northstar knows, they spit water when turned off - they obviously were designed to fully seal under negative pressure and don't hold when positive pressure is applied (like when the pump turns off) - perhaps on low speed, not enough negative pressure is created to fully seal the lid???
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6
    I believe in the manual parts breakdown. The installation procedure stated to discard the o-ring after pressure testing.

7. Back To Top    #7

Off-Topic comment:

Wow ! That is the cleanest and neatest plumbing picture I have seen on this forum so far. Absolutely beautiful.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

8. Back To Top    #8
    Thanks Titanium,

The pool was installed in August and very hot. We kept an outdoor frig. stocked with drinks for the install crew and bought them lunch a couple of times. They put in the SWCG and autofill for me at no charge. A couple of the guys stopped by on their day off, Sunday to check how everything was working.