HELP - pump quit

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
I was trying to hook up a vacuum and turned the pump off cuz there was air in the hose. When I tried to turn it back on it hums like it always does but the water doesn't start circulating. Any thoughts what I can check? My water is sparkling but I was just starting shock process cuz my cc is at 1. If I don't get it working I'm going to have a full blown algae outbreak. The pump is 6 days past a year old and I'm guessing had a 1 year warranty. Go figure. Please oh wise ones help me. Thank you!

There are a couple of things to check. Did you go through the whole priming the pump sequence? It sounds like you got air in the pump, which means re-priming.

Make sure the motor shaft turns freely when the motor is off. If there is resistance to turning, something is probably jamming the impeller.

Sometimes a sharp bump on the motor will release a stuck starter switch.

The pump basket was full of water and primed. I tried the sharp bump but no luck. I called the pool company and they said if I bought it in June they'd warranty it no matter what, but before removing it to bring it in they said to try a screw on the back side and turn it counter clockwise with the pump turned on. If it's clogged that will blow it out. That did the trick. Whew. Crisis averted. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.