CYA converted to ammonia and phosphates eating chlorine??

triplets&quads

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2008
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have never heard this but, can you lose CYA during pool closing and opening, and have bacteria convert the remaining CYA to ammonia so your pool won't hold chlorine?? Or that phosphates are eating up the chlorine?? I know someone who has been told both of these things. Is either one true?

Re: CYA converted to ammonia and phosphates eating chlorine?

You can lose CYA during the winter closing and have it converted to ammonia yes. As far as phosphates eating up chlorine... I don't think so. :goodjob:

Re: CYA converted to ammonia and phosphates eating chlorine?

Thank you for the quick reply. I had never heard of either of these problems. I would guess in either situation it would be best for my friend to have an accurate reading of the CYA level if the pool was not holding chlorine. The pool water is clear and unfortunately, my friend uses the pool store to test the water. hahahaha, big mistake! I just found out today my friend, not a close friend, had a pool with problems. I will try to get us a new convert. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.