Water flow into pool decreased

May 17, 2011
Hello,

I have Hayward S244T sand filter coupled to a Hayward pump/motor. The system is at least 10 years old. Up to the month of April everything seemed to have been working properly. But recently I have noticed a decrease in the flow returning to the pool. This is most noticeable where the water comes of the spa (which is attached to the side of the pool)

Also, when the system starts up in the morning I notice small bubbles (1/4 to 1/8") coming from the return jets in the pool.

I also noticed that the handle for the top valve on the sand filter is not closing all the way. When I say "closing all the way" what I mean is that when you turn the handle to select one of the commonly used flow settings (e.g. BACKWASH, WASTE, etc.) and then ultimately RUN, the handle does not spring back all the way. In other words, if you are looking at the handle from the side, normally it will pop up at about 45 degrees when you let go of the handle. Now it looks like it's only going half of that amount of angle. Could it be the spring (if there is one) inside that is not working properly?

I have cleaned the filter basket coming into the pump and both skimmers, backwashed & rinsed the sand filter, but nothing seems to help.

What are your thoughts?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Phil in Ocean Springs, MS

You certainly might be on to something with the handle on the multiport. If it doesn't seat properly, the entire flow may not be getting directed out to the returns.

I would open up the multiport, and inspect the gasket that is in there to see if it is seated properly. If the gasket looks OK, it is probably the spring that needs to be replaced.

It could be the spring, or it could be a bit of crud built up in the valve itself. The only way to know for sure is disassemble and inspect.

While you have the filter open, run your garden hose into it and flush it that way. I don't know where it is, but there is a thread in pumping station (I think) that details doing this.

I will try Tom's suggestion first and see how that pans out. I will get back with you with the results.

In the meantime, I just had ONE question for now: If my above attempt fails to fix the sticking multi-port valve handle, and I DID decide to take apart the multi-port valve, do you know of where I might find the exploded diagram of it so I can study it a little BEFORE trying to take it apart?

THANK YOU all for your prompt responses!

Phil in Ocean Springs, MS

The valve appears to be part number SP0714T, from the PDF file showing the S244T sand filter with the valve on it.

BTW, the attempt to use WD-40 on the valve itself did not produce the desired result. It is still sticking in the partially open/closed position.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.