Pumps - One Company says this, the other says that...

May 18, 2008
Hello, I'm hoping to get some help because we're not sure what the truth is.

We're looking to have a built in concrete pool put in. We've had four pool builders come out, have narrowed it down to two based on "effort" put into getting our business, thoroughness and thoughtfulness of their designs, and how well they matched what we want done. Price will creep into it at some point, but not yet.

General size of the pool:
*425 sq ft, 80-90 ft perimeter, 16,000 gallons (give or take).
*One three foot sheer waterfall
*Solar heating on a single story roof
*SWG

When it comes to equipment, I've read on this board, as well as a couple others, that the VS pumps, in particular, the Intelliflo, is recommended.

One company said to go with the VS pump because it can easily control the waterfall, solar, etc. and there is the cost savings.

The other company, who uses a two speed, 1.5hp Jandy as standard equipment, does not recommend the VS pump for the following reasons:
*For the pump to get the head for the solar it has to kick into the highest speed, which becomes noisy
*Additionally, when the pump goes into it's highest speed, it's pulling more gpm than the pool/solar are really designed for, which causes noise
*You have to have a control panel to effectively control the pump
*Don't need that much horsepower, 1.5hp is all you need*The 2 speed pump can easily handle the waterfall, solar and filtration

I really have no idea if those are valid reasons, or if they're just the standard line they give when they get asked about VS pumps.

Any help or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Worthing said:
*For the pump to get the head for the solar it has to kick into the highest speed, which becomes noisy
*Additionally, when the pump goes into it's highest speed, it's pulling more gpm than the pool/solar are really designed for, which causes noise
*You have to have a control panel to effectively control the pump
*Don't need that much horsepower, 1.5hp is all you need*The 2 speed pump can easily handle the waterfall, solar and filtration

Pretty much nonsense. The IntelliFlo VS can be tuned to use exactly the right speed for the solar system, a fixed speed pump can't. Getting an automation system/control panel is really nice but hardly required. And I rather doubt that the 1.5 HP pump can handle a 3 foot waterfall and the solar system at the same time.

I do recommend the automation system for this setup, though not because of the IntelliFlo. You will get much better results with the solar system if you have a solar controller and once you are doing that it isn't much of a step up to a full automation system that can also control the solar. It will cost more up front but you will be happy you got it.

I agree with Jason, I don't think that 1.5hp pump will be enough. I bought the vs for my pool and I'm going to "dial" it in to make it just right for my water features. Just read around here on the forum more and you'll see that the second guy is full of it.

It really bothered me when I interviewed pb's and they tried to shove their equipment down my throat. :roll: If they weren't willing to compromise I nixed them from the list. If they are like this now imagine how they will be later with an issue during your build. Go with someone that is more agreeable to your wants.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.