Trying to vacuum 15' 42" intex pool with SF15110 sand filter

Jun 22, 2013
Not sure where to start...

We got the new sand filter this year. The pool had been left out, but drained and covered up over the winter. (Indiana) I installed the pump including the plunger valve/strainer connectors. These plunger valves include the vacuum release valve... (which I think is the problem)

Long story short, the pump will run for a bit and then loose suction. When this happens the water level in the pumps strainer basket drops. I will have to shut everything off and open the strainer basket, refill with water and restart the pump. Then all is fine. For a little bit.

This keeps happening over and over.... If I hook up the vacuum hose, it doesn't take long at all before I loose suction....

Driving me insane, and of coarse the girlfriend is super impatient! I have a feeling the vacuum release valves are opening and sucking in air...

Not sure what to do. If I need to supply more information please advise. Thanks in advance.

Re: Trying to vacuum 15' 42" intex pool with SF15110 sand fi

Welcome to tfp, dkimble :wave:

It does sound like a suction side leak. If your skimmer is pulling in air that could also be a problem. Also, lubricating the o-ring on your pump basket cover might help since leaks there are common.

It could be the valves, most reports on here suggest they are not great. Maybe take a look at this thread if you have the "new" intex style valves: http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-improved-intex-plunger-valve-t59205.html

Re: Trying to vacuum 15' 42" intex pool with SF15110 sand fi

Thanks for the reply. The seal on the skimmer lid is good. I removed the valves completely, and connected the hoses directly to the pool, thus bypassing the vacuum valves that are built in.

Same problem... Soon after connecting the vacuum hose to the skimmer I loose suction. I can run the pump all day and everything is fine so long as I don't connect the vacuum hose. I am stumped at this point. Extremely frustrated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.