Finally got test kit - FC and CYA are both 0. Help!

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
Got my Taylor K-2006C in today and started testing. Here are the results:

FC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 80
CH = 100
CYA = 0 (completely filled tube and could still see the dot)

Could the low CYA be affecting the chlorine? I have a chlorinator that has 7 large tabs in it since Wednesday and today is Saturday and they haven't dissolved much. I've cleaned the skimmer and pump baskets (pump basket was fairly dirty). Water is circulating very well.
Currently the water is pretty clear, but has a little cloudiness to it.

Here are the chemicals I have available, can these help?

Chlorinating tablets - Trichloro-s-triazinetrione 99%
Shock - Super Shockwave powder, Calcium Hypochlorite 73%
Muriatic Acid
Algicide

Thanks for any advice. I don't want this to get away from me!

Add bleach to raise FC NOW! You can always go to Walmart and get a jug of pure CYA granules to take it to 30 quicker. Add bleach to raise that FC level to match that CYA. See the cya/chlorine chart in pool school. Don't let that cya level get away from you by using those pucks! See the pool caluclator to see how much those pucks are worth in CYA level when dissolved. It don't take long to get over the top you can easily manage your FC with. Pitch the algaecide, and yes, you can use the powder to raise FC-----just don't let your CH get out of hand either!

Fill water starts without any CYA. When you don't have any CYA you lose all of your chlorine to sunlight very quickly.

Using trichlor tablets adds CYA to the water. In the short term they won't add CYA quickly enough, but in the long term they will add too much CYA.

JasonLion said:
Fill water starts without any CYA. When you don't have any CYA you lose all of your chlorine to sunlight very quickly.

Using trichlor tablets adds CYA to the water. In the short term they won't add CYA quickly enough, but in the long term they will add too much CYA.

Ok, I got some granulated CYA (store didn't have liquid). I've been using trichlor pucks for a few days, but CYA is still 0 and FC gets eaten up pretty fast. It's bright and hot and very sunny here lately.

My dilemma is whether or not I should add some of the stabilizer or wait for the pucks to bring up CYA. Once the CYA is at 30-40 I'll just use bleach, but to add another kink to the situation, I'll be leaving for vacation in 5 days and will be gone all week. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Razorhog said:
Got my Taylor K-2006C in today and started testing. Here are the results:

FC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 80
CH = 100
CYA = 0 (completely filled tube and could still see the dot)

Could the low CYA be affecting the chlorine? I have a chlorinator that has 7 large tabs in it since Wednesday and today is Saturday and they haven't dissolved much. I've cleaned the skimmer and pump baskets (pump basket was fairly dirty). Water is circulating very well.
Currently the water is pretty clear, but has a little cloudiness to it.

Here are the chemicals I have available, can these help?

Chlorinating tablets - Trichloro-s-triazinetrione 99%
Shock - Super Shockwave powder, Calcium Hypochlorite 73%
Muriatic Acid
Algicide

Thanks for any advice. I don't want this to get away from me!
You can use the Cal-hypo to raise FC to shock level. For a 20,000 gallon pool, each pound will raise FC by 4.3 and CH by 3.1. So....don't use more than 30 lbs in total. Ordinarily, I'd say use bleach, but since you already own it, use it up! We're about thriftiness here.

Just use the dropdown menu and select 73% cal-hypo as the source of chlorine in http://www.poolcalculator.com/ to find out how much to add to raise FC to target. DON'T Add the whole 30 lbs at once!!

I would use granular stabilizer to raise the CYA level to about 30.

When you leave town, load up on pucks and let them maintain FC and finish raising CYA while you're gone.

You need to add the stabilizer (CYA) that you just bought so it can dissolve. The pucks will not raise your CYA fast enough at this point.

Awesome advice and info, thanks! I'm about to start the shock process with the cal hypo. Pool guy told me to mix it in a bucket of water but the instructions say different. Guess ill follow the directions. Need to figure out what shock level FC will be first....

Razorhog said:
Awesome advice and info, thanks! I'm about to start the shock process with the cal hypo. Pool guy told me to mix it in a bucket of water but the instructions say different. Guess ill follow the directions. Need to figure out what shock level FC will be first....
...it is recommended to premix it in a bucket of water before adding to your pool.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/swimming_pool_definitions_abbreviations

Assume that whatever CYA you added to your pool is there and use the calculated value to determine the shock level. Be sure to select the pool size, surface, and bleach in the dropdown menu on pool calculator.

Welcome to TFP! This is a great resource. I, too, am from Northeast Arkansas. I found this site last year after spending WAY TOO MUCH at the pool store. I know have control of my pool and exactly what goes into it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
poolmama67 said:
Welcome to TFP! This is a great resource. I, too, am from Northeast Arkansas. I found this site last year after spending WAY TOO MUCH at the pool store. I know have control of my pool and exactly what goes into it.

Thanks, neighbor! I agree, this place is a wonderful resource.

Pool is now at shock level, FC of 16. CYA is about 20-30, so I'll use the pucks until it is around 50 and then use bleach. Is that a good target number for CYA? Pool gets full sun until about 6 in the evening. Thanks again.

This morning it was at shock level of 16. This afternoon it is at 1.5.
FC 1.5
CC .5
PH 7.1
TA 70
CH 100
CYA 30

Water is crystal clear. I'll read about the overnight FC loss test and see what I need to do. My question right now is whether or not it's normal for shock level FC to drop that much in less than 24 hours?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.