Can I keep my solar cover on after adding bleach?

curt222

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2008
Since my first question was answered so quickly, I feel compelled to ask another. I want to start BBB. Do I need to take the solar cover off each night after adding the bleach? If yes, do you usually put it back on after a few hours?

Thanks again, this is a great forum.

If you have returns that are at all above your water line, I would recommend pouring bleach near the return stream but not into it.

I did that last year and the section of my solar cover that the return stream was flowing into got nice and brittle.

I have experienced the same thing as robrinker. I don't know if it is the chemicals or just ware the return hit the solar blanket now I role back the cover to add acid and use the skimmer for CL. The strange thing the brittle area was gone after I took the cover out of storage this spring.

I just peel back the solar cover, pour the bleach into the return stream (which is beneath the water line in my pool), and then pull the cover back.

I use a thin solar cover and don't expect it to last too many years anyways. The sun will beat it to its death way before the bleach will!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.