Hayward AquaRite Automation with Jandy Aqualink RS8

G

I converted to a SGC system and would like to integrate into my automation system. I currently have an older Jandy Aqualink RS8 that's controlling my variable speed Intelliflo VS+SVRS pump. The Hayward SGC instructions say to draw power from the load side of the filter pump to avoid attempting to generate chlorine when the pump is idle, but with the VS pump, the supply to the pump is always hot whether the pump is running or not since there's a separate control circuit to define when to run the pump. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to setup the SGC so that it will run only when the VS pump is running?

Thanks - love the forum.

I could be wrong, but if the flow switch detects no flow from the pump being off, doesn't the SWG go into a pause mode and stop calculating as well as generating? It will still have power light on , but the No Flow light would be lit.

cbeck44 said:
I could be wrong, but if the flow switch detects no flow from the pump being off, doesn't the SWG go into a pause mode and stop calculating as well as generating? It will still have power light on , but the No Flow light would be lit.

That's correct but its my understanding that the flow control feature is a fail-safe that should not be used as the primary means of controlling the power to the SGC. Thanks for the suggestion.

I only realized this with my recent problem of low salt readings in the morning on pump start-up. I had a bad flow switch which was keeping the SWG on and calculating all night, resulting in low averages the following morning. Appears this has been my set-up for almost 10 years - there is no connection between my Jandy RS and the SWG, which is the way the pool company was installing the earlier Jandy controllers. Although it may be not be the preferred method for shut off, my Mineral Springs SWG is almost 10 years old and my cell was just replaced for the first time after the same period, and no damage done. If concerned, maybe a seperate timer (which follows same pump timetable) which is hooked into the AC outlet of the SWG?

cbeck44 said:
I only realized this with my recent problem of low salt readings in the morning on pump start-up. I had a bad flow switch which was keeping the SWG on and calculating all night, resulting in low averages the following morning. Appears this has been my set-up for almost 10 years - there is no connection between my Jandy RS and the SWG, which is the way the pool company was installing the earlier Jandy controllers. Although it may be not be the preferred method for shut off, my Mineral Springs SWG is almost 10 years old and my cell was just replaced for the first time after the same period, and no damage done. If concerned, maybe a seperate timer (which follows same pump timetable) which is hooked into the AC outlet of the SWG?
Following on your suggestion I think I've found a solution. My RS8 originally controlled a single speed filter pump so I moved the leads to my new new VS pump fom the load side of the relay to the supply side (ie, not switched) and plugged my SGC into that relay. Now I'll label that relay SGC and program it to only run when the pump is active via AUX1 - 4. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.