Carpet deck black from mold or mildew...

i have carpet around my pool 1/2 deck. it's all black from the previous owner's neglect, and some of my own neglect. there's also green stuff on the metal railings, etc. i've been cleaning it with a pressure washer, seems to do a pretty good job.

the question is, i'm getting some splash back into the pool (which I think I JUST finished killing all the algae in)... do I need to be concerned with this creating an algae problem in the pool? moving forward, since i have the pressure washer, i will keep it from getting THIS bad.

edit link to photos:
http://imgur.com/a/PsNpu#0

You can scrub down the carpet with 20MTBorax and a deck broom. If you can keep the solution out of the pool, add an equal portion of Oxiclean. If possible, do it when it's shady. Let it sit for up to 15 minutes, but do not let it dry out.

Mix :stirpot: 1/2 cup of each (Oxiclean and 20MTBorax) into 1 gallon of hot water to clean about 100 square feet easily. Rinse, directing dirty water and cleaners away from the pool, several times.

Just remember, Oxiclean neutralizes chlorine, so check your chlorine levels after you're done. :testkit:

I wouldn't recommend using bleach as it might eat your carpet along with the mold and mildew....

thanks - i am afraid of using anything too close to the pool, i had enough trouble trying to keep the pressure washer's run off from coming back into the pool. I just don't know if i can successfully get rid of the mold/mildew without any chemicals.

it's so dingy that i can't see it being an easy task. it was actually a bit of contention when buying the house. and my agent assured me it'll pressure wash right out (which technically seems accurate).

ArmedM,
Got access to a wet/dry shop vac?

Pour on (or spray on) and then broom in the wet cleaning mixture, let sit just a bit, and suck it out with the shop vac.
Rinse with clean water and suck it again. That might avoid getting anything into the pool.

It should clean the carpet and kill the organics, too.

Then empty, and rinse out the shop vac with some chlorine and water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.