Convinced!! Now to convert from Pristine Blue

Jun 21, 2013
I have been using Pristine Blue for the past 3 years and after spending some time on here reading about the BBB method I am convinced its time to convert. P.S- I feel kinda dumb for being lured to the darkside!(PB)

Ok! I tested my water this evening and here are the results. I have an old kit so I couldn't test for CH or CYA. I ordered the Taylor K-2006 kit to solve that problem!

TC-0
FC-0
PH-8.2
TA-60
CH-N/A
CYA-N/A

COPPER- .5

Where is the best place to start this process?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Isn't the only difference with that system that you add copper? If so, just stop adding copper and maintain the recommended levels as described in pool school.

You could replace water to lower the copper level in the pool. And in fact, if your CYA is too high, then you will need to replace water anyway.

So, I would suggest at this point you just do a lot of reading in Pool School while waiting for the test kit to arrive.

How does the water look?

Yes, I believe that's the only difference! Well, besides a lot of money being extracted from my hip pocket! :shock:

The water is a dark green color. Should I start by shocking the pool or do I need to get my PH right before I shock it? We are just now trying to open it.

Also, it sat uncovered over the winter and we believe we have all of the leaves out but we can't see the bottom so can't be 100% sure.

Here's a pic of the pool.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 316
Yes, go ahead and fix the Ph now. Hard to start shock process without having some idea of your CYA level, and as mentioned, you may need to drain water anyway. Look for a bleach sale in the mean time! You're gonna need just a little bit!

woodyp said:
Yes, go ahead and fix the Ph now. Hard to start shock process without having some idea of your CYA level, and as mentioned, you may need to drain water anyway. Look for a bleach sale in the mean time! You're gonna need just a little bit!

Thanks! I've already been looking!!

Was CYA not tested or is it zero?

Break out the leaf rake and start dragging.

Casey-LeafRake.jpg

You can do that while the acid is working on the pH. When your arms and back need a rest, fumble around measuring and filling the CYA socks and get them hung in front of a return. When pH is good, hit it with bleach. You won't be testing anything but FC & CC for a while, so be sure the pH is good before you start.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Richard320 said:
Was CYA not tested or is it zero?

Break out the leaf rake and start dragging.

Casey-LeafRake.jpg

You can do that while the acid is working on the pH. When your arms and back need a rest, fumble around measuring and filling the CYA socks and get them hung in front of a return. When pH is good, hit it with bleach. You won't be testing anything but FC & CC for a while, so be sure the pH is good before you start.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

CYA wasn't tested. The kit I have is older and doesn't have that test in it but I've ordered one that does.

Been raking for about a week and all I pull up now is silty kinda stuff. I'm assuming its mostly dirt and algae.

I'm gonna wait till I get the new kit before I start messing with the CYA. Don't want to mess anything up!

I got my Ph adjusted down to 7.2. I think I'm ready to start the shock process but, I've got a few questions.

1) Do I need to have my CYA adjusted before I start the shock process?

2) Am I wasting time and money if I try to shock without knowing the CYA level?

3) Can I run my automatic cleaner during the shock process?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okiesummer said:
I got my Ph adjusted down to 7.2. I think I'm ready to start the shock process but, I've got a few questions.

If you have your K-2006, yes. Test your CYA, and if it is high >50, drain and refill according to the poolcalculator.com

You could easily waste some money, and put your liner at risk by overclorinating.

You can, and it might pick up some of the organics that you may have missed. But without being able to see it, how will you know it's still working? I recommend you wait until you kill the algae and the pool starts clearing.

Charlie_R said:
Okiesummer said:

If you have your K-2006, yes. Test your CYA, and if it is high >50, drain and refill according to the poolcalculator.com

You could easily waste some money, and put your liner at risk by overclorinating.

You can, and it might pick up some of the organics that you may have missed. But without being able to see it, how will you know it's still working? I recommend you wait until you kill the algae and the pool starts clearing.

Thanks Charlie R!
I should have my new kit today!

So post a full set of numbers when you get your kit. If the CYA is high, then a partial drain/refill would be the first thing to do since it will make any shocking use a lot less chlorine and you don't want the CYA to be high long-term anyway. A partial drain/refill will also lower the copper level to will help to prevent staining. Because you have copper in the pool, you'll want to make sure to significantly lower your pH before shocking with a hypochlorite source of chlorine (chlorinating liquid, bleach, Cal-Hypo, lithium hypochlorite). Lower the pH to at least 7.2 (but not below 7.0) before shocking.

Raise CYA to around 30 to 40 for now. That is about the ideal level for shocking. You can start shocking right away, especially at night, but will lose a fair bit of chlorine to sunlight during the day until you get some CYA in the water.

JasonLion said:
Raise CYA to around 30 to 40 for now. That is about the ideal level for shocking. You can start shocking right away, especially at night, but will lose a fair bit of chlorine to sunlight during the day until you get some CYA in the water.

Alright! I'm all over it! Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.