Hayward H300 Startup Troubles

ghuber

May 11, 2010
Hi Gang,

And the pool troubles continue... :hammer:

Tried to start my Hayward H300 heater last week, would not light. I figured it was the igniter assembly, so I ordered a new one and put it in... pulled the burners and cleaned them... cleaned the contacts on all the connectors. Still, no go. I hear it trying to fire (that clicking sound) and smell some gas after it makes the three attempts to start.. but keep getting IG on the display and no fire.

Any ideas?

So you smell gas, is this natural or propane? The igniter is clicking but no go. Then you get an IF. Even though you smell gas, put your hand on the gas valve and then turn the unit on and see if you feel the valve click. I'll say that you need a new control board.

It's natural gas. Yep, igniter is clicking but no go. I followed the troubleshooting section of the manual last night and it says either the gas valve or control board is bad.

I'm going to testing using a multimeter today to see if the gas valve is getting 24vac.

Thanks!!

If you put your hand on the gas valve as the unit is turned on, you should feel and hear it click. The fact that you smell gas tells me it is opening. If you heard the igniter and did NOT smell gas then I suspect the gas valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.