First timer chemistry advice

Mar 15, 2013
Hello all. Thanks SO much for such great info on this site! Our pool was filled about 4 weeks ago - but they're still finishing up some work so I'm using that as the PB's reasoning for no pool school yet. So I'm going to pick up some supplies from Costco tomorrow and want to be sure I'm getting what I need. I did buy TF100 from the link provided in this site as well as the speedstir. Here are my readings as of a few minutes ago:

FC - .5
pH - 6.8
TA - 110
CH - 180
CYA - I'm guessing 0 because I still see the black dot. When I look from the side part of the dot is gone.

I put all the info in the pool calc and I'm just wondering do I put everything in at once? I'm def not a scholar yet but have read pool school. Sounds like fixing one may fix some of the others. Just wanted some of your great advice on where to start. Thanks in advance! (I'm hoping my signature updated once I send this. If not I'll fix right away.)

ivanapool said:
Hello all. Thanks SO much for such great info on this site! Our pool was filled about 4 weeks ago - but they're still finishing up some work so I'm using that as the PB's reasoning for no pool school yet. So I'm going to pick up some supplies from Costco tomorrow and want to be sure I'm getting what I need. I did buy TF100 from the link provided in this site as well as the speedstir. Here are my readings as of a few minutes ago:

FC - .5
pH - 6.8
TA - 110
CH - 180
CYA - I'm guessing 0 because I still see the black dot. When I look from the side part of the dot is gone.

I put all the info in the pool calc and I'm just wondering do I put everything in at once? I'm def not a scholar yet but have read pool school. Sounds like fixing one may fix some of the others. Just wanted some of your great advice on where to start. Thanks in advance! (I'm hoping my signature updated once I send this. If not I'll fix right away.)
You will need CYA and bleach. Once the water starts circulating, expect the pH to climb all by itself. With fresh plaster, CH will also probably climb all by itself.

The pool builder may have his own ideas about startup chemistry as well, and you'll have to abide by that to maintain your warranty. He'll probably fill the puck dispenser, so take that into account when you add CYA, because it will add more.

ivanapool said:
Thanks so much. Is it too bad to swim in tonight without adding anything?
You might like like what that pH does to your eyes, skin, and hair, but I doubt it's toxic. You bathe in the same water, right?

Again, see what the pool guy says per warranty. If he's okay with it, I suppose you could. It is clear, right?

Ugh - maybe I just won't get my hair wet:) it's crystal clear even with all the landscaping work going on.
[attachment=0:26p44jqq]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371861521.728479.jpg[/attachment:26p44jqq]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371861521.728479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371861521.728479.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 109
So I talked to my PB and he recommended not doing anything. He said the pH was probably low because i had a couple marks on one of the benches and he put acid on to remove. He also said not to get bleach but to get shock. He said its recommended to shock once a week, but I thought no shock was the norm unless you have problems. Plus the box for the ozone equipment says with that system there's even less need for shock. No, no, no.... I know that's a bad topic to bring up - I read all the ozonator discussions and I got it, but still. I wish there was one straight answer for what you should/should not do. Ugh - I think I need to hire a pool maint person... Though I do enjoy testing with my kit!

I wish there was one straight answer for what you should/should not do.
Yeah, it would help us all if it was cut and dried. That's why we consider TFP as a teaching forum where you will find enough information to be able to test your own water and know exactly what to do about the results of the test.

You will find no better source, on or off the net, than the solid science that is available to you here at TFP.

Ask your PB exactly what type of chlorine is in that "shock" he suggests.....I doubt he has a clue.

duraleigh said:
I wish there was one straight answer for what you should/should not do.
Yeah, it would help us all if it was cut and dried. That's why we consider TFP as a teaching forum where you will find enough information to be able to test your own water and know exactly what to do about the results of the test.

You will find no better source, on or off the net, than the solid science that is available to you here at TFP.

Ask your PB exactly what type of chlorine is in that "shock" he suggests.....I doubt he has a clue.

I second you on both!

But it amazes me about pool builders. WHY do they not know more? We have only sat down with one, he said TA for salt pools= Same for ALL pools. He said other things too, but that is enough Hijacking. Sorry Ivanapool, and Welcome to TFP. Lots of nice folks here, hope you enjoy it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.