Need help for cloudy mess!

Kelda

Jun 21, 2013
Hi I'm not a new pool owner, pool is probably at least 20 years old, but for some reason, I've been dumping chemicals into this pool and it remains white and cloudy! I bought the TST kit because I felt the local pool place wasn't very accurate. I've opened my eyes in terms of my actual results being off. So far, I've corrected the alkalinity, pH, and started putting at least 3-4 lbs of chlorine in daily while running the filter at least 18 hours a day. Here's my numbers from today (and will be adding at least 4 more lbs of chlorine once the sun goes down):

pH 7.5
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
TC 1.0
TA 190
CH 290
CYA 100

I've read some of the other posts and that's what led me to getting the test kit and making some changes. My filter has been flushing with pressure about 10 and have washback/rinsed. Also vacuumed pool both with Dolphin and manually several times.

Thanks for any input you have!!! I've enjoyed reading this website! Thanks TFP!

Welcome to the forum!

First, you need to get some chlorine in ASAP. If your CYA is truly 100, you should never let your FC get below 8. The only way to lower it is to replace a % of your water. If you do not have a SWG, you should be in the 40-50 range.

Secondly, sounds like you need to follow the shock process until your water is clear. This will be much easier when you lower your CYA. For very detailed instructions, read Pool School - click on the white button labeled as such. You will be totally confused after reading Pool School for the first time (or in my case the first few times :shock: ). However, once you get the hang of it, it all starts making sense and becomes very easy!

I am sure someone with more expertise will come along soon. In the meantime, read, read, read!! Also, to help you with this process and to take total control of your pool, you will need a good test kit if you don't already have one. I use the TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html. This will be the best investment you can make to have a beautiful pool!

Kelda said:
Hi I'm not a new pool owner, pool is probably at least 20 years old, but for some reason, I've been dumping chemicals into this pool and it remains white and cloudy! I bought the TST kit because I felt the local pool place wasn't very accurate. I've opened my eyes in terms of my actual results being off. So far, I've corrected the alkalinity, pH, and started putting at least 3-4 lbs of chlorine in daily while running the filter at least 18 hours a day. Here's my numbers from today (and will be adding at least 4 more lbs of chlorine once the sun goes down):

pH 7.5
FC 0.5
CC 0.5
TC 1.0
TA 190
CH 290
CYA 100

I've read some of the other posts and that's what led me to getting the test kit and making some changes. My filter has been flushing with pressure about 10 and have washback/rinsed. Also vacuumed pool both with Dolphin and manually several times.

Thanks for any input you have!!! I've enjoyed reading this website! Thanks TFP!
If you've been using powdered "shock", you need to stop. Now. The CYA level is waaaaaay too high already, which means the minimum, the absolute minimum, your pool needs to be at is 12 FC. And to get ahead of the algae, shock level is now 39 FC and every bag of powder you pour in is just making it worse.

Back to Pool School. Also look at threads in the algae room. High CYA is the number one cause of green and/or cloudy pools. I see a partial drain and several days, if not weeks, of pouring gallons of beach into the pool in your future.

Ouch!!! I'll get started right away on my project. I am thankful to find you now, rather than keep doing what they were telling me at the pool place. I bought the TF-100 which has helped me find your help and find these values. Thanks - I'll keep you posted on my project!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.