LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2013
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I think it's official. The guy at the pool store thinks I'm totally nuts.

Last weekend it was because I wanted enough stabilizer to raise my CYA to SWG levels. Today it was because I wanted a Fas-DPD test that went to "at least 11" [cue up Spinal Tap reference here].

Looks like I'll be waiting for my online order from TFP to come in. Now that taking care of my pool is fun, I HATE having to wait!

The look I got today said it all.

The one and only time I went to a pool store
I had the feeling that they thought I was and Idiot for doing my own testing
Well after spending around 80 bucks far a test kit and about 40 to 50 bucks in chlorine to clear up my green pool
I feel like I saved a million dollars
Best place I could of found is right here Before I got pool Stored

Meh, I've got a good pool store guy. He's the owner and does mainly commercial installs and maintenance. Went to inquire about SWG today and talked chemistry for a few minutes. Told him I'm using pucks - he immediately said "watch your CYA and make sure you keep your TA up and watch pH, but you already know this right?" Told me of a customer who came in and CYA was 250+, he told her to drain or nothing else was going to help. She left a little miffed but we both kinda nodded our head in a "yeah, she's done, nothing you can do" kinda way.

He then asked - what's you TA? 120 I say. Perfect he says, bet you can drink your water.

Moral of the story is there are GOOD ones out there. I give him whatever business I can including repairs, only chemicals I buy are reagents and polyquat/antifreeze to close. Charges 125 bucks to close my pool completely. Money well spent.

Oh, and quick shout out to Louisville Water Company. We won best tasting water in the nation YET AGAIN!

Spidey... You're one of the lucky ones that has a pool store owner that they can talk chemistry with and feel like your not nutso.

I don't understand how these places can through all these chemicals at people and not expect to hurt anyone who might be swimming in the pools with who knows what kinds of levels when they are done! I'm surprised you don't see lawsuits for people whose children who have been burned, etc due to bad advice from a pool store. I think I would want to be thoroughly educated if I was an owner!

We've only bought a few repair supplies at pool stores and I've only overheard conversations with other customers... glad they weren't me. I could just about hear the $$draining from their wallets.

spidey07 said:
Meh, I've got a good pool store guy. He's the owner and does mainly commercial installs and maintenance. Went to inquire about SWG today and talked chemistry for a few minutes. Told him I'm using pucks - he immediately said "watch your CYA and make sure you keep your TA up and watch pH, but you already know this right?" Told me of a customer who came in and CYA was 250+, he told her to drain or nothing else was going to help. She left a little miffed but we both kinda nodded our head in a "yeah, she's done, nothing you can do" kinda way.

He then asked - what's you TA? 120 I say. Perfect he says, bet you can drink your water.

Moral of the story is there are GOOD ones out there. I give him whatever business I can including repairs, only chemicals I buy are reagents and polyquat/antifreeze to close. Charges 125 bucks to close my pool completely. Money well spent.

Oh, and quick shout out to Louisville Water Company. We won best tasting water in the nation YET AGAIN!

$125 to close?!

I pay $325! Ugh!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.