Pool just filled - need some advice

Mar 28, 2012
Tampa Bay, Florida
I'm the one from the thread " Pool Remodel - Not off to a good start" (for anyone interested in the history of my project)

Wednesday the pool company put the coating on and yesterday (Thursday) a worker did an acid clean. When he left, he started filling the pool and said to let it fill up and leave the drain (ground water) pump on until it is full. This morning the pool and spa was full, so I shut off the ground water pump and got the pool and spa pumps running right after disassembling and cleaning the DE filter really good. I replaced the DE and let the filter pumps run most of the day.

The problem is, we received no instructions on what to do with the water. The worker said he would be back Monday. I tried to call the office for guidance but only got an answering machine. It is past their closing hours now. I am concerned about chemical imbalance, damage to the coating and possible algee starting to grow for the next 3 days. Am I being overly concerned? Can this water sit for 3 days without the chemistry adjusted with no damage? Am I just being overly concerned? The lack of communication with these guys is certainly not comforting, but I know they are very busy and can't do hand holding. If I just had some instructions to follow..... :?

Any recommendations from the forum here? What would the experts do?

If you had a branded finish installed (eg PebbleTech, Diamond Brite) you could check for any manufacturer’s startup instructions online. The NPC also publishes a recommended startup guide. Have you tested the water, what are the current readings?

I'll be testing first thing in the AM. I may add just a little Bleach and if the PH is a few tenths from the recommended end points, I'll adjust. I'll see if there is anything on the CL Industries web site for adjusting immediately after application. We are pushing water through the heat exchanger of a new heater as well, even though it is not wired up. I don't want anything to get screwed up.

The guy is supposed to do more acid cleaning on Monday to get the splotches out (he said to expect that). I'll get pictures up soon. In general, it looks beautiful.

Thanks guys and great board!

I believe you are supposed to bypass the heater if practical/possible. If not certainly do not run it. I would assume it's to avoid scale deposition in your heater. New plaster leaches calcium into the water. There are startup guidelines in Pool School.

No valves to bypass the heater on this setup. It can't run because they haven't run the power to it yet (electric start unit).

Terry... I could not find anything online specifically from CL Industries. They say refer to your pool builder..

This morning I tested the PH as over 8 (off the scale) The demand test indicates I need about 1-1/2 quarts of acid. I started with 1 pint poured in slowly near the skimmer area with the pumps running. I also put the floater with 2 3" tabs in the pool. I know there is no FC yet, so I'll add a half gallon of bleach and check everything later today. Since they will be using more acid on Monday for cleaning I don't think I should get the PH down too far, but I will most likely add a couple more pints today and again tomorrow.
Thanks.

You really need to talk with the company that applied the surface. They are the ones responsible for your startup unless your contract said otherwise. The more you muck with the chemicals the more outs they have if there are any problems.

That being said, pebble pool finishes are more forgiving to start up process differences so I wouldn't worry too much. I am surprised that they left with no instructions to you.

joepaiii said:
You really need to talk with the company that applied the surface. They are the ones responsible for your startup unless your contract said otherwise. The more you muck with the chemicals the more outs they have if there are any problems.

That being said, pebble pool finishes are more forgiving to start up process differences so I wouldn't worry too much. I am surprised that they left with no instructions to you.

Joe Im just going to stop right now and take your advice. I'll probably leave the floater with 2 3" tablets in it because the water is pretty warm in this Florida heat. Since early this morning I have added 3 pints (total) of acid about 2 hours apart (1 pint per application at a time). I put a half of gallon of pool bleach in it and the 2 Tri-Chlor 3" tablets. The pumps are running with clean filters. I did some basic testing and the acid demand shows I need another 2-3 pints just to get it to 7.6. The FC was .6 PPM and combined was 2.8 PPM (the City water source uses Chloramines for drinking water sanitization). I've done some gentle brushing to move the cloudy water to the main drain. I think it is too early for the CYA test.

I mentioned what you said to my wife, but she said, "so far this company hasn't taken responsibility for anything yet they did or didn't do". Anyhow... life goes on and I've got other things to do. Thanks for the comments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.