How often should I backwash? Do I have a filter problem?

Jun 21, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm starting to think maybe I have a problem, I am going through DE like crazy.

So, my pool has gone from green with tons of leaves on the bottom (long story) to light blue but still cloudy in the deep end. The bottom is pretty much cleaned up as best I can tell. But now just trying to see the bottom on the deep end. It is clean in the shallow end.

I backwash my pump (no special setting, I just open it up). It goes clear. I add DE through skimmer. I start running. The returns look great, pressure is good. However, after just 6 hours or so...my returns have virtually no pressure. I bump. I get some pressure back, but it goes away a couple hours later.

Any thoughts? I've been letting it run with no pressure to the returns, knowing it isn't working at capacity. I have taken the top off and cleaned it with myriatic acid pre-season, which for my pump is a pain in the rear. And I got so frustrated I took it apart again and washed it out with a high pressure hose a couple weeks ago. Again, worked GREAT when I first started her up...but was disheartened when I ran into the lack of pressure to the returns a short while later. I used to think it was because my pool was so dirty, but now it really isn't bad and I'm almost there...yet I still run into the issue.

Ben

Re: How often should I backwash? Do I have a filter problem

That sounds normal to me. All that cloudiness is getting filtered out. You ARE maintaining shock level chlorine, correct? Because otherwise, it's still growing and dying and clogging your filter. Once you get ahead of it, the filter should go longer between cleanings.

Yes, though I've had to add water to vaccuum as you have seen, so my CYA died and then my Chlorine check last night was way too low. I didn't have any conditioner at the house. I didn't want to add chlorine without any conditioner in it, as it would just burn out I would think. So I picked some up, and I'm going to add CYA and then shock the Crud out of it tonight. :) Hoping that will take care of some of the cloudiness?

Benspot said:
Yes, though I've had to add water to vaccuum as you have seen, so my CYA died and then my Chlorine check last night was way too low. I didn't have any conditioner at the house. I didn't want to add chlorine without any conditioner in it, as it would just burn out I would think. So I picked some up, and I'm going to add CYA and then shock the **** out of it tonight. :) Hoping that will take care of some of the cloudiness?
I think the shock process would be better than a one-time mega-dose. http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.