Lowered cya too much

So, I drained and refilled my pool 5 times to lower my Cya from what had to be over 320ppm having never got a reasonably correct k-2006 test result. I finally received my 4088 tester and having had a cya test done by leslies that showed my cya to be 25, a result that my calculations suggested was to low. However, when I did my own test using my new 4088 tester, I found the result to be 30--which too was low, but I confirmed it to be accurate using my k-2006 vial . Unfortunately, I overshot my goal of 50 on my last of 4-5 drains and refills. And ended up at 30. My question for the pros here is, I'm going on vacation for a week, and don't have anyone to check and replace bleach while I'm gone. Would it be worth my while to use up some of my trichlor tabs and raise my Cya at the same time? I've been using 1- 121 oz of 8.25 daily. How many tabs should I use to not go over 50ppm and keep my FC between 3 and 8 as suggested.

RobbieH said:
Perfect use of tabs. 30 isn't all that bad, for many it's their target unless they use a SWCG.
I was hoping that would be the answer. I figure The closer It gets To 50, the better the stabilization? Now, for how many to use before we leave for the week, and not have to worry about coming back to a green swamp or making my Cya jump above 50? If cost me almost $200 in water and a $215 polaris boost pump, please don't ask about the boost pump it's too embarrassing to explain.

Just keep in mind the higher the CYA, the higher the FC has to be maintained. Also if you run into green swamp trouble, the more CYA there is the more chlorine you need to cure the problem. Keep using poolcalculator.com to know what adding the tabs will do to your CYA, and to keep an eye on the recommended FC.

RobbieH said:
Just keep in mind the higher the CYA, the higher the FC has to be maintained. Also if you run into green swamp trouble, the more CYA there is the more chlorine you need to cure the problem. Keep using poolcalculator.com to know what adding the tabs will do to your CYA, and to keep an eye on the recommended FC.
Trouble is, the PC asks for weight. There's nothing on the packaging to tell me what the weight of a 3" tab, so, there's no way to determine what tabs will do to for cya or fc. Dichlor on the other hand comes in 1 lb packages, so that's easy. IOW, is there any unstabilzed chlorine source I can put in my pool that will last the 9 days we're going to be out of town, or would tabs do all that I need to do without raising cya above 50?

stoney65 said:
IOW, is there any unstabilzed chlorine source I can put in my pool that will last the 9 days we're going to be out of town, or would tabs do all that I need to do without raising cya above 50?

You and everyone else wants that unstabilized chlorine source that lasts. :)

For me the answer was SWCG. I can go weeks without worrying about my FC.

RobbieH said:
stoney65 said:
IOW, is there any unstabilzed chlorine source I can put in my pool that will last the 9 days we're going to be out of town, or would tabs do all that I need to do without raising cya above 50?

yep that is why I use a Stenner injection pump...I can go away for 2 weeks and be in good shape!

My experience: I stuffed the floater with 3" trichlor tabs (4 or 5, I can't remember) and they lasted about two weeks in my 16000 gallon pool. I also raised the water level a couple inches and used bleach to push FC to 12 the morning I left. I was still showing about 4 FC and the pool was still sparkling when I got home 11 days later. There were slivers of pucks still in the floater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RobbieH said:
stoney65 said:

Problem is, you haven't answered all my questions. The most important is, I'm leaving town for 9 days, using bleach for sanitizer and no one to look out for my pool during that time. Will tabs do it? Last year, I used 2 -3" tabs and 3 bags of dichlor every week and really didn't have any trouble keeping a clear pool. So, what are my options? An injection pump not being one of them

Richard320 said:
My experience: I stuffed the floater with 3" trichlor tabs (4 or 5, I can't remember) and they lasted about two weeks in my 16000 gallon pool. I also raised the water level a couple inches and used bleach to push FC to 12 the morning I left. I was still showing about 4 FC and the pool was still sparkling when I got home 11 days later. There were slivers of pucks still in the floater.
There! !! Now that may be the answer! :) I happen to have a floater, just stuff that and not the skimmers? Oh, and what might that do to my cya level?

stoney65 said:
Richard320 said:
There! !! Now that may be the answer! :) I happen to have a floater, just stuff that and not the skimmers? Oh, and what might that do to my cya level?
It will raise it.

Check Effects of Adding Chemicals down near the bottom of http://www.poolcalculator.com/ for a good estimation of how much each 8 oz puck will add.

Richard320 said:
stoney65 said:
Richard320 said:
My experience: I stuffed the floater with 3" trichlor tabs (4 or 5, I can't remember) and they lasted about two wend refillingeks in my 16000 gallon pool. I also raised the water level a couple inches and used bleach to push FC to 12 the morning I left. I was still showing about 4 FC and the pool was still sparkling when I got home 11 days later. There were slivers of pucks still in the floater.
It will raise it.

Check Effects of Adding Chemicals down near the bottom of http://www.poolcalculator.com/ for a good estimation of how much each 8 oz puck will add.
So, 5 - 8 oz pucks = 40 oz plug that into the calculator, says if will increase cya 6.7 and I was so afraid it would mess up my Cya so badly I'd have to do more draining and refilling my pool. Not so! !! I feel so much better now. Thanks for the answer Richard!

Stoney, I figured someone would answer the other questions. As you can guess, the effect of putting a couple of floaters in my 44,000 gallon pool exposed to full sun in Texas will be a lot different than your pool, therefore I did not feel I was the proper person to answer the question. Even pools of the same size and environment can have different results. The only way you'll know what happens to your pool is to try it and see what the results are.

RobbieH said:
Stoney, I figured someone would answer the other questions. As you can guess, the effect of putting a couple of floaters in my 44,000 gallon pool exposed to full sun in Texas will be a lot different than your pool, therefore I did not feel I was the proper person to answer the question. Even pools of the same size and environment can have different results. The only way you'll know what happens to your pool is to try it and see what the results are.
Thanks Robbie. I would have used your advice using my situation. I don't imagine you're temps are too much higher than ours this time of year, but the floater idea should work for me.

Fill a floater up with as many puck as it will hold. Tie it off so it can't float next to the liner. You have the pump running on a timer--yes? Five pucks will give you about 10 ppm Chlorine and raise CYA by 6 ppm. Do you have an inline feeder? However you do it, bring the water up between regular shock and mustard shock right before you leave. Do not put the pucks in the skimmer. I doubt there will be any major setbacks. How do you plan to deploy the pucks?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.