Test Results and a question (OF COURSE)

May 5, 2008
Louisville,KY
Just got the tf-100 from the delivery man (OH-YEAH!!). Awesome kit.

Here are the results
chlorine results from drop test
FC 2.5
CC 1.0
TC 3.5
PH 7.2
TA 90
CH 160 VINYL POOL
CYA <30 1/4 inch below 30 mark
Water temp. 80
Now to the question. I have some 3" tabs of trichloro-s triazinetrione left over from last season. Can these be used to increase CYA levels to 50. I think that I am going to have to run this pool at at least this level to keep chlorine in it. I have been putting at least a gallon a day in the pool, and about every third day I put in 2. This pool faces east-west and gets full sun all day. No buildings or trees to block the sun. Even on the days when I add 2 gallons the chlorine level never shoots up over 3 or 4, and is back at 2 the next day. I was putting a lot of fresh water in due to a leak, probably 5000 gallons this season, but have not done this in over a week. The pool turned cloudy over the weekend due to high bather load. I put about 1.5 lbs. of 73% cal-hypo in Sunday night along with 4 ozs. of enhancer, and pool cleared up the next day. If it is possible to use the pucks, does anyone know the amount of CYA this will add per puck? Should I just go ahead and buy some sanitizer and be done with it?

If the CYA test was below the 30 mark then the CYA level is between 30 and 40, since 40 is below 30.

Calling CYA 35, you need to maintain FC at between 3 and 7, and never below 3. Your FC level is too low, which is probably why you have CC of 1. Bring the FC level up to about 7 and the CC level will probably start to go down. If CC isn't below 1.0 tomorrow you may need to shock the pool.

Yes, you can use trichlor tablets to raise the CYA level, but it will take some time. Trichlor tablets come in various sizes. A 7 oz tablet will raise CYA by 1.2 in 24,000 gallons. Remember that trichlor is acidic, so you will need to keep an eye on the PH while you are using them.

Should I just go ahead and buy some sanitizer and be done with it?
The short answer is to maybe do both. roughly 1/3 of the weight of the pucks is stabilizer so you can do that math and figure it's gonna take the pucks a long time to get your stabilizer to make a big move. I'd buy enough to get me to 40ppm and then use the pucks to move it to 50 or so.

Uh-oh! :shock: YOu need to shock that pool! Your test result of 1.0 CC's indicate you still have a ways to go to clear the pool completely. I would bring the FC up to around 20 one time and then let it drift back down to normal. I bet your CC's will be down to .5 or less in 24 hours.

Oops! Actually the water level in the tube was 1/4 inch above the 30 mark. I am keeping a close eye on the PH. I went ahead and put 5 of the 3" pucks in on Sunday, as I had a good idea that my CYA level was going to come in low just by seeing just how much chlorine the pool was using. That small amount caused a slight drop in PH. Raised it back up with Borax. Should I go ahead and raise PH levels in pool, in anticipation of the stabilizer lowering it? I am only looking at putting in about 38 ounces of stabilizer according to the pool calculator. I think I will follow Dave's advice and bring up to 40 with stabilizer and the rest with pucks. Jason, is it safe to assume that my 3" pucks are 7 ozs? Ther is no identifying numbers on bucket, other than a total weight of 40 lbs. they say Pool Brand on bucket, and were purchased at Sams Club. Thanks for the info guys.

Dave, Would it be okay to shock with 73% cal-hypo? I am trying to use this Crud up and go to strictly bbb, but I cant get over seeing these d#@* buckets of wasted money sitting here collecting dust. I know the trichloro pucks are going to be useless when CYA gets to the level I am going to run at. I just have a feeling this pool is going to need to run at a higher CYA level due to full sun and bather load

Do you all think that it is ok to add 77 ozs. of cal-hypo in one shot. I am using power powder plus and the product says 73% cal-hypo and 27% other ingredients. That concerns me. According to calculator I need to get level up to 20 to be at shock level. That calls for 77 ozs. of cal-hypo. I will be dissolving in 3 gallons of water and broadcasting around perimeter.

That sounds like a good plan. Chlorine is the only chemical you want to add all at once. With all of the other chemicals it is best to sneak up on your target value in several steps. But chlorine needs to go up to it's full level right away to be fully effective.

The liner is safe up to a couple of times shock level. The key thing is to not spill full strength bleach directly on the liner. Pour the dissolved cal-hypo slowly into the water in front of a return, or distribute it evenly around the pool, and leave the pump running for an hour afterwards and you will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, took the advice and got the pool up to 20 ppm with cal hypo last night. I just now had an opportunity to check levels.

FC 6.5
CC .5
TC 7.0
When I put the R-003 in the sample barely shaded to pink. This tells me that the CC level is almost zero, correct? I had put about 6 trichloro pucks in the auto-chlor on Sunday, and it increased the CYA level from approx. 28 to approx 32 with some of the puck remaining. Does anyone have any estimations of how much CYA is actually in a 3" puck. I was just going to continue to test CYA daily until pucks were consumed, but I did not want to use up all the chemicals that way. Can I expect any increase in CYA levels once the pucks are gone?

tnewton7,

Can I expect any increase in CYA levels once the pucks are gone?

Maybe a little. Dissolved CYA can take up to week to show up in the CYA test.

Just remember that it is FAR easier to add more CYA if you are a little low than to have to remove CYA if your levels are too high.

Titanium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.