Cannot keep pool clean

Aug 9, 2012
This spring, I installed a through the wall skimmer on my Intex pool. At the same time, I installed an Intex Saltwater System to go along with my Intex sand filter system. The water flows from the skimmer to the pump into the sand filter to the saltwater system then into the pool. It worked great for the first week, that is when I bought a set of plastic steps to attached to the wood steps I have on the outside. Now the water seems to be clear, but it forming a bunch of Crud on the bottom and the sides of the pool. I scrub it, and vacuum it, it will stay clean for a day, then I am back to scrubbing and vacuuming. I know it is not from trees, because my pool is centerally located in the yard, where I removed all the trees a couple of years ago. the nearest tree would have to be almost 100 yards away.\

Anyone have any suggestons as to what I am doing wrong, or a way to fix the problem?

I am heading out to test the water with the test strips and I will have that information posted on here shortly.

Catch a sample of water as it comes out of the return with the SWG running and test it to see if it is producing chlorine. Be sure to check your salt level and report that as well.

You test the salt with either a salt test strip or a salt drop test.

What is your CYA level?

Your fundamental problem is a lack of chlorine. It may be cause by other chemistry, a problem with your system or just the presence of algae in the water. If you were to shock the pool for a few days, it would kill the algae and possibly allow the system to keep up with the chlorine demand. You'll need to know your CYA level to determine the shock level though.

My CYA test tube goes up to 30, and filled to 30 I can still see the black dot. When I mix equal parts 7 and 7 the water never turns cloudly like it is suppose to.

I have a jug (gallon) of the HTH Algae Guard. Should I throw that in it? as well as shock the pool?

Well your CYA is 0, so something like 50% of your chlorine is being lost to the sun. You will want to get that up to 30 ppm by using stabilizer (hth brand is fine), and follow the shock process. Add enough stabilizer to get to 30 to a sock, and hang that in front of a return. After you meet all of the criteria for stopping the shock process, you will want to get your CYA up to 60-70 for the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.