Liquid Chlorine Vs Pool Shock - Can someone answer this?

Benspot said:
...or are they interchangeable...

Liquid chlorine is exactly the same chemical as bleach. It is normally sold in higher concentrations, typically 10% or 12.5%, which are easier to carry than bleach. Liquid chlorine is not available in all areas. Ask your pool store if they carry it. Liquid chlorine is often less expensive than bleach, once you take it's higher strength into account. For the rest of this section I will refer to both bleach and liquid chlorine as bleach.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Also see
bleach-prices-2013-t58266.html
comparing-chlorine-costs-t39243.html

[center:3m9375e0]
file.php
[/center:3m9375e0]

A lot of people use Clorox prices from Sam's as a basis, or Costco. If you can beat that price elsewhere, go for it. I would bet most often off-sale, it's around the best price available.

I'm buying 10% at $12.49/4gal.

There is no reason to bump a 2 year old thread ....

A quick search and you will see that the only difference between bleach and liquid chlorine is the strength. Bleach is anything up to 8.25% (usually 6 or 8.25). Liquid chlorine is usually 10% or 12.5%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that Isaac-1 is right - through my searching at times I found they were the same, yet I would see a post or more that would say otherwise. You all give percentages - am I correct to assume the percentages you are giving are for Sodium Hypochlorite? Why not "bump" a thread if it needs more clarity??

Yes, it is the percentage of sodium hypochlorite.

The reason not to bump or hijack another poster's thread is because it is the original poster's thread and you aren't asking or answering a question for the original poster. If you want to ask your own question it is best to start a new thread.

I, too, wonder about the difference between liquid chlorine (bleach) and liquid shock (like Buckman's Liquid Shock which only lists ingredients as 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and the rest "other ingredients").

If you are wondering about the "other ingredients" in chlorinating liquid and bleach, see this post where you will find that it is mostly water and some sodium chloride salt. There is a small amount of excess lye (sodium hydroxide) and Clorox bleach has a tiny amount of sodium polyacrylate.

Thank you Chem geek! Ah, Pooldv - I WAS asking the same question - I don't feel that it was answered adequately before and I did a search FIRST on this exact topic which led me to THIS thread. Originally the post was "liquid chlorine vs pool shock" BUT it was answered as if the question was liquid chlorine vs bleach. Not was either of us were asking. So please reread all of the questions AND answers before you jump on me. Thanks again chem geek - but I think that Isaac-1 is the only one who answered the question appropriately as it was addressed. Thank you again.:bowdown:

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent post on the ingredients Richard.

It's just the way this forum is, they'd rather have 100 new threads a day on the same basic topics then everyone with a green pool posting in the same ongoing thread. Reduces cross posting and lets the op get his or her answers more easily. It does mean there are like 5 pages of new threads every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the original question asked how much liquid chlorine is equivalent to cal hypo. It was answered in the second post.

Reactions: bchristex
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.