Should we hire pool inspectors?

Jun 21, 2013
Hello,

We are buying a house with in ground pool and outside tub. Home inspection does not include pool or hot tub and the big question is should be hire separate pool inspector or you can just inspect the pool and tub ourselves? Neither me nor my husband ever took care of pool or hot tub thus we are not sure what to look for. So what I am trying to find out how useful are pool inspections? Thanks.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You need to know if the pool is open, that is the water level is at least midway up the skimmer opening, and all the lines are not plugged and the equipment is connected and ready to use. Do a visual inspection of the pool area looking for cracks in the shell and decking or wear on the liner. If the pool is open and the house has power turned on, you can ask the homeowner if they can show you how to operate the equipment.

If having to pay for any repairs over "x" dollars is a deal breaker, then ask for a pool inspection by a local pool service company. You can negotiate with the seller to pay or split the cost of inspection.

You can also post some pictures of the pool and equipment here and we can comment on any questionable looking items.

Thanks a lot for such good reply!!! The pool is open and looks to be working order and it seems fine, however since neither me nor my husband ever took care of the pool we are not sure how to inpect it or see potential problems. So, I guess what I am asking if it pays to hire a profesional inspector to check to make sure or since they don't really guarantee anything it is not worth it? What do you people think? Any help will be highly appreciated. The tub is still closed but he will open it for inspection if we will ask. Thanks.

If you plan to buy the house anyway I wouldn't worry about an inspection. The most serious issues are structural problems which usually you have some clue with cracks or signs of heaving or leaks in the underground plumbing which may not be obvious without a pressure test. If there is a lot of automation and it goes bad you can always work around that. If it is important for your peace of mind call a few companies and ask what they would charge and what the inspection would cover.

Do you know how old the pool is and if any of the equipment has been replaced?

The pool is 10 years old and from just looking it does not have any leaks or anything but then again maybe I am not looking at right places :) I have called a local pool inspection place and for inpection of pool and hot tub they want 250, does it sound like a good price? They will test the filter and pressure they told me. Should I go ahead with it?

I'd get the inspector if you don't feel you can make an informed assessment.
It's ironic the people will balk at dropping a couple hundred on an inspection but sign a mortgage requiring hundreds of thousands of dollars with relative ease.
If you spend money on an inspection and everything is good, look at it as peace of mind, not money wasted.

If it were me, I would have it inspected. As new pool owners, you'll have peace of mind knowing you are starting out without issues. Repairs can be costly, and if the inspection reveals something wrong, you can negotiate some funds prior to closing to cover those costs. One house I bought when the pool was closed turned out to have leaks in the underground pipes. We had negotiated a couple of thousand dollars from the seller go in an escrow account to cover such eventualities, to be returned to seller if not needed. Repairs were well over $1000. I've used inspectors for the pools that were open when I bought them, just so I'd know. It's a chance to get to know a pool contractor and your pool set up. I've used the guy who inspected my current pool to replace my pump when it died and to fix leaks in the above ground pipes. If you can do your own repairs and replacements, an inspection might not matter so much. I hope you enjoy your new pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.