Pool too full???

Jun 14, 2012
Blaine, MN
Last night we got 2" of rain on top of all the rain we've received this spring/summer. I expected to see the water almost to the rim because it's been pretty full. Oh yea, :hammer: there's a skimmer and it can only go as high as that. Do I need to drain my pool down some? They are predicting more rain for the weekend.

If I do need to drain it, is there a way I can vacuum while draining? I've got some fine silt on the bottom that no matter how much I vacuum I cannot seem to get rid of. I was thinking if the vacuumed water got dumped, it might help with the silt. I don't believe it's algae because the chlorine numbers only change when there is sun and the pool is uncovered for the day and we add more water because of rain.

If you have a multiport valve on that filter, it ought to be a piece of cake. Get the vacuum hooked up and going normally, then shut the pump off. Set it to waste, turn the pump on, and start vacuuming.

However you do it, I recommend lowering the water level. Otherwise it's all going to drain out at the lowest point it can, which will oversaturate the ground there, which may make the pool sink, which will cause it to drain more in that spot, and so on. It's better if you decide where the overflow goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.