Newbie needing help with numbers...

Jun 4, 2008
Alabama
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum. I have been reading and watching for a couple of weeks so far and have learned a tremendous amount. Thank you all so much for this forum and the time you spend updating it. It is awesome!

Now... on to my predicament. In short, my pool (26k gallon inground vinyl) turned into a moat over the winter. The motor on my pump went out so I closed it without covering it. Needless to say, algae was a huge problem. After listening to the local pool store and spending waaayyyy too much money, I have started my own remedy.

My pool is now clear for the most part, but my numbers are still off. I still cannot see the bottom in the deep end either. Can anyone tell me what I should do next? I use a Taylor 2006 test kit. I have also just started using the BBB method and have already used 4 4lb boxes of Borax and over a gallon of Ultra 6% bleach. Any help would be great! Thanks ahead of time.

FC = .6
CC = .6
PH = 7.0
TA = 70
CH = 140
CYA = 140

I can't see that you've killed the algae with an fc that low. You need to bring it up more.

Also your ph is creeping down watch that you might want that at more like 7.2-7.4 range. Lots of brushing and cleaning of filters or backwashing (sorry I missed if you said what kind of filter)

Run your pump longer to expedite cleaning and circulation and be patient it takes a handful of days.

Retest once you bring those numbers up per calculator on this site. Also read the stickys about turning your greem swamp into an oasis it helps. Good luck!

As whoozer said, you haven't replenished the chlorine. YOu need lots more....when you think that's enouigh, you'll still need more. Run your pump 24/7 and backwash/clean your filter as necessary.

The process is complete when:
A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

I have actually been running my pump 24x7 for about the last two months. My power bill hurts... anyway. How do I need to go about bringing up that FC level? I have put over 1 gallon of bleach in the past 2 nights. That may be nothing, but it seems like a lot. I do have a bucket of 4-in-1 shock that I am not using any more and a bucket of 3" chlorinator pucks.

My PH is actually up much higher than it was. Last week I had to use 30 drops just to get my PH test to come up 7.0 before I added all the Borax.

Still trying to learn and have so far to go.

something is amiss with your pH test. Regardless of your pH, 5 drops is all the reagent you need to get a valid result in 98% of all pH tests. Are you using something other than a comparator (match the colors) to test with?

Back to FC....you are gonna need gallons of bleach for a while.

I was told to backwash once a week. Is that enough during this time?

Also, the calculator states I need another gallon of bleach. Is that too much to put in the pool all at once? I mix it with water and broadcast it around the pool. Thanks for all the help.

Well, I overlooked something in your first post and you are not going to be happy with my thoughts.

Your CYA is w-a-a-a-ay too high. If that 140ppm test result is correct or even close, you'll need about 12 gallons of bleach...all at once...to shock your pool and clear up the cloudiness.

Additionally, you'll need to keep your FC up in the 9-14ppm range all summer to prevent reoccurence of algae and to properly sanitize the pool.

The only solution to this dilemma is to drain about 50% of your pool water and refill. This will get your CYA down into the 60-70 range and your pool will be manageable from there.

Read the "ABC's of pool chemistry" and "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparking Oasis" in the "Stickies" section. That'll give you some insight into the steps you need to take.

Heck, I've put over 3 gallons of 6.25% bleach in at a time when I was converting from Baquacil, and would have done more if necessary...you can get your FC as high as 15 when you're really wanting to shock. You may want to try that, and do it at night for minimum chlorine loss (due to sun). I put the bleach in, slowly, through my skimmer and it did fine. Just don't go too fast or you may end up needing to prime your pump, which is no fun. :x
And Duraleigh knows his stuff, you may want to consider replacing alot of your water if at all possible. Don't use 'stabilized chlorine' (pucks, etc.) 'cause they have CYA in them. Buy stock in Chlorox, I felt like I needed to! 8)

By my estimate you need 13 gallons of bleach all at once to even start thinking about killing the algae and possibly that much again several hours later. If you lower your CYA to 80, a really good idea, you would still need 9 gallons of bleach all at once just to get started. If you don't use enough chlorine all at once the algae just bounces back and you are right back where you started.

You should read my article on cleaning up a green pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow... you are right. Not really what I was expecting. I knew my CYA was way too high. I think that is a result of my local pool store. They had be double shock every night for about three weeks in a row. That costs a lot with hardly any results.

I will see what I can do about draining some of my pool. I actually did that earlier and had serious issues. That was my original plan, but my liner started floating up due to water seaping in from the ground from a lot of rain. I now have quite a few wrinkles.

Anyway, I will see what I can do. Should I do that first or flood my pool with bleach?

Everything will be simpler if you get the CYA level down first.

You don't have to lower the water level to replace water and thus lower the CYA level. You can fill and drain at the same time, normally at opposite ends of the pool but that doesn't really matter. This requires a bit more water, but avoids any risk of the liner floating.

Should I do that first or flood my pool with bleach?
I would go ahead and do the drain and refill first. No sense spending the money clearing up water that you're gonna drain.

Here's how you can keep the liner from floating. When you start to drain, shut the pump off and start refilling simultaneously.

If you can devise a way to drain from the bottom of the deep end and fill from the top of the shallow, your pool level shouldn't change but your water will slowly be replaced with non_CYA fill water.

This takes a bit more water but it will keep your liner flat against the wall.

Ideally, you are shooting for a CYA of 40-50 for a regular pool and 60-80 if you have an SWG.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a pump to empty my pool with, so I will hook it up in the deep end and fill in the shallow end. Does it have to be done all in one sitting? My drain pump is not too fast and will take a couple of days to get the level down some if I turn it off at night and when I leave the house. I understand the level will not actually drop, but for it to remove a substantial amount of water will take a while. Thanks again.

I think I am getting there. I drained my pool for several hours Friday night, all day Saturday and several hours on Sunday. The water is much clearer in the shallow end. It is amazing how fast little algae clumps started forming because the pump was turned off though.

I tried to test my water to see how my progress is going and I am out of cyanuric acid reagent! I had to order some and it hasn't made it to me yet. Is there anything I should be doing in the mean time before I can get an accurate test to keep the algae away?

I am afraid to add more shock or trichlor/dichlor because I am trying to lower the CYA. I also don't want to waste bleach when I don't know yet how much to add. Any suggestions while I wait?

Thanks again,
Mark

To be honest, I haven't tested it in a while since I'm not able to test the CYA. The water is getting very green and dark. I'm afraid of using the dichlor/trichlor because that's what raised the CYA so high. Hopefully I will be able to test in the next day or two and will post numbers.

Thanks!

ovranalyzr said:
To be honest, I haven't tested it in a while since I'm not able to test the CYA. The water is getting very green and dark. I'm afraid of using the dichlor/trichlor because that's what raised the CYA so high. Hopefully I will be able to test in the next day or two and will post numbers.

Thanks!

Do you have any regular bleach to pour in? A jug certainly can't hurt, even that moderate an amount won't hurt if the CYA is low and it won't hurt if it's high, at least it's killing some algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.